View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #55
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: When Blade meets bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer

Give the swordsman a bulletproof shield and he can block guns
Block isn't allowed against guns not because shields can't be bulletproof but because moving a shield into the path of a bullet isn't workable. You can use a shield as cover against bullets, but that involves crouching rather than running, which amounts to being pinned by fire. With special skills -- like Precognitive Parry -- this changes. But speaking as a GM, if I'm handing out the ability to block or parry bullets to cinematic swordsmen, I'll also be giving gunmen the ability to parry swords by knocking them aside with bullets at Guns/2 + Acc. It doesn't make any less sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer

Finally a gun (unless its a rocket launcher with very large/bulky/unwieldy/expensive ammo) is limited to 10d [...] ST 100 [...] I agree that a sword like this would be not TL8 anymore...
Even at TL8, if you can manage just a small fraction of ST 100 in the form of far cheaper Lifting ST, you can carry and shoot a magazine-fed antitank rifle (6d×2 pi++; ST 18), drum-fed autocannon (6d×3 pi++; ST 26), or belt-fed Chain Gun (6d×4 pi++; ST 28), all of which can shoot armor-piercing, explosive ammo, often several times per second. And at the TL of hyperdense, tank-slicing swords -- TL11 -- you can have a railgun that dishes out 6d×15(10) imp 20 times per second from a 2,000-round mag, which only needs ST 34.

As others have said, to make guns less effective than swords, you can't go with the game's basic assumptions. You have to postulate a world where guns are dumbed down and swords are charmed for reasons of cool, and where sword-wielders get to have keen cinematic abilities that gunmen can't match.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote