View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #75
Ian Turner

Default Re: 4e is not user friendly.

It's kinda ironic for me. Going through the changes between 3.0 and 4.0, it's like they read our house rules hand-out. (Getting rid of PD, tweaking All-Out Attack and Defense, dice of effect moderated by level of Magery, etc.)

You'd think I'd love it. But a combination of 'icky-feeling' paper, a nasty smell, sub-standard art and a layout that just throws every single advantage / skill / whatever into a messy cross-genre jumble ended up hugely turning me off to the whole 4.0 launch. [Yes, I'm aware how terribly shallow this sounds. Tough. I'm shallow. I even watched Buffy.]

I've got copies of Man to Man, and every single edition of GURPS and dozens upon dozens of various setting books (with up to three different copies of some, like Martial Arts or Supers), and treasure various books for use in all sorts of games (like Timeline), and our gaming group still plays the occasional GURPS 3rd Ed Fantasy or Supers or Horror game. And I've got a copy of everything released so far for 4th Ed, but I think I'm sticking to 3rd Ed (with house rules, making it more like 3.5) for now.

Eventually, as has already been mentioned in this thread, convenient little hand-books will occur, compiling all the Ads, Disads and Skills that are relevant to a particular genre or setting, saving me from having to read the entire freaking book every time I want to create a character, and I'll be dragged kicking and screaming into the future. But for now, I'll be the one sitting on the porch flailing about with my cane and shouting for you damn kids to get off my lawn.
Ian Turner is offline   Reply With Quote