View Single Post
Old 07-15-2021, 10:32 PM   #85
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Sorcery] Michael's daily sorcerous spells thread

For this spell, I decided to go with the Slotted Cosmic Power approach I considered and rejected for Beast Seeker. That's a bit cheaper if I did my math right, but ends up increasing the casting time by 1 second in most cases. Also, writing this spell description made me realize the description of Beast Seeker needed clarification, because my first draft forgot that you could specify a single individual halfway through the write-up. Those edits have been made, hopefully the spell works better now.
Beast Summoning
Keywords: Information, Mind Control, Resisted (Will).
Full Cost: 74 points.
Casting Roll: IQ (Special).
Range: Unlimited.
Duration: Special.

You can divine the location of the nearest animal of a given type and then attempt to make it come to you. The spell takes an extra second to cast, unless casting it repeatedly for a single animal type. Make two casting rolls. The first roll is to find the animal's location, which works like an Information spell. The second roll is to summon the animal, is Resisted with the animal's Will, and follows the rules for Mind Control spells. Both rolls use Long-Distance Modifiers (B241) instead of normal range penalties to the roll. If both rolls succeed, the animal travels towards for as long as you take constant Concentrate maneuvers(and pay the usual 1 FP per minute), plus minutes equal to the margin by which you won the Quick Contest. When the animal arrives at your location, the spell ends, but it reacts to you at +1.

Statistics: Slotted Cosmic Power 1 (25) (Accessibility, Must specialize in a type of animal, -10%; Limited, Only Detect with Cannot Analyze, Link, and Precise, -50%; Sorcery, -15%) [45] + Mind Control (Accessibility, Summoning only, -30%; Animals Only, -25%; Link, +10%; Long-Range 1, +50%; Magic, -10%; Suggestion, -40%) [28] + Perk (+1 reactions from summoned animals) [1].
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote