View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #28
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Sorcery] Michael's daily sorcerous spells thread

I was never totally satisfied with just slapping an Aura on Resist Lightning to get Lightning Armor, because the effects of Lightning Armor in GURPS Magic are more complicated than that. Possibly there's a way to be more faithful to Magic using imbuements, or a weird variation on DR (Reflection), but I wasn't able to work out the details before the day to post Lightning Armor rolled around. Maybe some day I'll return to this one.
Lightning
Pyramid #3/82 p. 13 has a version of this spell. I realize Pyramid articles don't get the same level of editing other GURPS releases do, but I couldn't improve on this one and have used it as a basis for my own lightning spells.

Lightning Armor
Keywords: Buff.
Full Cost: 82 points for level 1 + 51 points/level.
Casting Roll: None. Use Innate Attack (Gaze) to aim.
Range: 100 yards.
Duration: 30 minutes.

As Resist Lightning (GURPS Sorcery: Protection and Warning Spells, p. 10), with the addition that anyone who you touch or who touches you takes 1d burning surge damage per level. If a weapon strikes you, apply this damage to the weapon. Metallic armor counts as DR 1 against this attack, but nonmetallic armor protects normally. Targets stuck by this attack must make an HT roll, at -1 per 2 points of penetrating damage, or be physically stunned. On subsequent turns, they can roll HT to recover.

This is also a Weather spell.

Statistics: As Resist Lightning but add Burning Attack (Always On, -40%; Aura, +80%; Melee Attack, Reach C, -30%; Surge, Arcing, +100%) [11/level].
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote