View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #24
Hide

Default Re: [DF] How Many Abilities Should A Race Get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
It's the first one I saw, but your last link (the middle two are the same) is rather clear, at least to me, that you can't get sexual attraction across species barriers that large.
I think it could work if you allow a cosmic enhancement.

Quote:
No, in general. Several fanatsy universes/settings seems to have succubi but not incubi
Not necessarily, in order to explain this you have to dig deeper into the lore and a bit into anthropology. Oversimplifying the facts and broadly speaking, the “modern” succubus revolves around the figure of a prostitute, and the figure of the prostitute is usually associated with females (although there are both male and female prostitutes). Prostitution (especially) in the medieval ages was considered an impure act, and such acts were explained as the result of demonic influence (so to say). You could surmise that knowledge about succubus/incubus prior to the medieval ages was aligned to fulfill the role of highlighting the posture against prostitution, shaping what you currently find in common media, literature and so on. That’s possibly the reason you believe incubi are rare; because it is rarer hearing about male prostitutes than female prostitutes.

Quote:
I was suggesting they gathered the immaterial energy of creation. I think I'll take the oppurtunity to remind people that we're discussing a non-evil, non-demonic, PC race.
I am taking into account that your template is not about a devil/demonic entity, but if you want to stripe either of these elements, the name (succubus) you picked for your racial template does not reflect what you intent to represent. It is like saying “this is a template for a dwarf, but these dwarves are tall and slender and have long pointed ears, they just live underground and also smith specially good weapons” (that's a drow).

On the other hand, think of an occupational template. You could simply say any female could become (for example) a priest of Astarte; that they are granted special powers (GURPS - Divine Favors) such as the ones you want to represent, because they serve a goddess of fertility, sex and war. Then it would be understandable, that the cult does not allow men at all (or just very few).