View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 06:31 AM   #31
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Does Danger Sense allow Dodge against back attacks?

I'd absolutely allow a dodge vs. an attack from behind (or an invisible foe, or even another dimension) if the Per roll for Danger Sense succeeded. I even snuck mention of this into the text of Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2: "If it appears behind someone with Danger Sense, a successful Perception roll lets them dodge its touch at -2."

I don't think that invades the niche of Peripheral Vision excessively. On the defensive, Peripheral Vision doesn't require dice rolls to sense enemy attacks and works with parries and blocks, not just dodges. Wait, there's more! It works on the offensive, too, allowing attacks into side hexes and improving your arc of vision for ranged attacks. But that's not all! You also get that arc of vision for observation, and +3 on all rolls to detect Shadowing attempts, even if there's no danger at all.

Inasmuch as Danger Sense does impinge on Peripheral Vision a little (both allow dodges vs. attacks from behind), Peripheral Vision returns the favor: You get +3 to detect ambushes from behind, and a Vision roll to spot dangers "behind your back."

I'd say the two traits are very balanced with respect to one another.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote