View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #69
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I always had a mind to, but I've been the only one relying on dodges until now (not sure why you used them since your parry is better) and I've been the only one using DWAs.
when I retreat, the parry is equal to the dodge (brawling only gets +1, while boxing and karate get +3). When you aim low, my dodge becomes better. It now becomes apparent I should have parried one blow and dodged the other.

Quote:
Me too, with the exception being I think excess AP beyond maximum should automatically spend your way out, since that would be a consequence of a very good recovery action (minimum 1). Being able to voluntarily spend AP (slowing your return to full) should be off the table.

the maximum being what? your starting number?

Quote:
The only reason I started fudging that was because I screwed up the calculations twice and ended up acting when I shouldn't have acted. It felt bad to throw out the work we'd already done so I tried to find some kind of balanced justification for ignoring the failure.
We messed up. It happens. I'd prefer to just have the PIF kick in when we notice the error. The actual moment when it ought to kick in is rather arbitrary. Its not like shock, which needs to happen right at the moment of damage.

Quote:
It seems weird that all the weapon skills can do this but karate's the only unarmed one.
Not to me. The grappling skills shouldn't have it, and boxing doesn't do kicking (neener neener!). That leaves only brawling, and brawling isn't big on technique. I have a hard time imagining a proper brawler doing the big wide kick.

Quote:
That is what B420 says, but I think we should use all the "Optional Rules for Injury" in the blue box, including "Accumulative Wounds".
Oh wow, that was in front of my nose. I see it. And my target is 7, not 6.

Quote:
Not 2 AP? =/
oh you're right, it would be 2 AP. I don't think it will let you avoid stunning in general though. Just unconsciousness and knockdown. Reading it more carefully, I'd prefer to avoid that rule, because this fight should end with a knockout, not with death.

Quote:
I already overrode it by choosing to attack afterward because I goofed the stats. Did you want to go back and give us both back the 2 AP spent on punches/dodges and have me just roll HT+4 for a Do Nothing instead? *shrug*
No, I want you to take do nothing (or other AP-neutral option) now, as though you just barely failed the PIF roll.

Quote:
After spending 1 AP on RWB, how much AP do you think I should have left? I'm a little unclear if I should be subtracting AP for having ignored PIF or adding it back to both of us by pretending the DWA/2xdodge never happened.
You have 2 AP. You had 5 after the defense, then burned 2 in DWA's and 1 with a RWB.

Quote:
This makes me wonder, of that temporary 2 AP, do you think either an 'Evade' or an 'Obstruct' could be paid from that? It's kinda strange because I could see either being thought of as an attack or a defense depending on context. It seems like 'Evade' is closer dicewise to an attack, but conceptually you could be trying to escape someone trying to corner you...
I think the 2 AP could be used to obstruct but not evade. Evade is offensive in nature, while obstruct is defensive. Or possibly that evade is proactive and obstruct is reactive.

Quote:
The problem I can see with that approach is it would prevent doing Evade on an All-Out Defense, which sounds wrong. So perhaps doing an Evade should count as if you did a Dodge, and apply a -1 to future dodges?
hmm, I don't actually think preventing evade during all-out-defense is a problem. To me, evades proper maneuver is move. Its all about moving, and in most cases you will want to move more than 1 yard to do it.

Quote:
What is your next maneuver?

Well, that kick was anti-climatic. I was hoping for more than 1 damage. We're both at 2 AP.

He's going to evaluate for +1 and take a step back (they are now 2 yards apart, I believe, so Green can't launch a standard attack, as he can't kick) Will roll for HT (very low) at the start of next round.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote