View Single Post
Old 03-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #28
Mab

Default Re: Modified magic system?

A new tack --

How about throwing out the reduced fatigue rule and adding new spells: (I'm fairly new to GURPS 4e, and it occurs to me there may be something like this already in the book, so if there is already something like this, don't bash, just enlighten.)

Gather Mana X (X=1,2,3, or 4, or just 1 or 2) (Metamagic)(VH,H?)
Cost: 0
Time to cast: X (X=1,2,3, and 4)(or maybe just 1)
Duration: depends on subject spell
Prerequisite: Magery >= X, Gather Mana Y where Y = X - 1

Effect: Caster gains X points of mana which must be used to cast a spell beginining on the next turn. If that spell is maintainable, then Gather Mana can provide X points toward that maintenance each maintenance period. Gather Mana counts as a "spell on" both for the casting of the following spell and for the maintenance of the following spell. Thus, if an Invisibility spell is being maintained from a Gather Mana spell, there are two "spells on". Any mana not used in a spell begun on the following turn will cause the caster to suffer 1 point to HT (FT?) as mana burn for each unused mana.

Discussion points:

1. "Free" mana becomes available to any mage, but at the cost of cp. The free mana can be applied to any spell. This could be changed to be spell specific, to reflect the mage being expert at that one spell, but I'm not sure that would be necessary.

2. Casting spells with free mana becomes slower. (Less so if you are highly skilled with this spell).

3. I like the idea of mana burn. Pulled from Magic:The Gathering. Should mana burn apply to maintenance?

What are the obvious virtues/flaws?

Mab is offline   Reply With Quote