View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #239
Icelander

Default Rifles and carbines chambering interesting intermediate cartridges

Weapons I'm especially interested in statting include:

LaRue Tactical Stealth 2.0 11.5-inch SBR, .224 Valkyrie (or any equivalent upper in same chambering)
A very handy Bulk -4 short-barrelled AR-15 pattern rifle that chambers a round allegedly supersonic and stable out to 1,300 yards from a 24" barrel. I'm primarily interested in loads that allow long-range bullets like the 90 grain Gold Medal Sierra Match King to be chambered in (and hopefully feed reliably from) a high-capacity magazine.
To stat this new LaRue Tactical offering or a custom-built AR-15 resembling it, I'd need data for .224 Valkyrie performance from shorter barrels. Some rounds, like the 6.5 Grendel, that achieve impressive performance from a 24" barrel lose much of their velocity advantage over heavy bullet .223 Remington loads when fired from short barrels.
If the .224 Valkyrie loses proportionally no more velocity from a shorter barrel than the .223 Remington/5.56x45mm NATO, it might be an interesting round to chamber in carbines and SBRs for inhumanly accurate supersoldiers, who can theoretically shoot tacticool carbines with precision out to longer ranges than most bullets for the 5.56x45mm or even the 7.62x51mm cartridges are ballistically stable.
I'd also be interested in stats for an AR-15 style carbine chambered in the .224 Vakyrie with a slightly longer barrel, 14.5-inch or 16-inch, as a general purpose tactical rifle.

Savage MSR 15 Valkyrie, .224 Valkyrie
See above for the cartridge.
This rifle comes with a 18-inch barrel, but I'd also be interested in carbine or SBR versions of it. Several supersoldiers in the campaign have Armoury (Smallarms) and are used to rebarrelling their own weapons. Of course, I don't know if the gas system would need modification as well, for the rifle to work with a 16-inch or 14.5-inch barrel, to get it down from Bulk -5 to Bulk -4.

JP LRP-07 Long Range Precision Rifle, 6mm Creedmoor
Firing a 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge necked down to 6mm, this rifle is becoming very popular with long range shooters. Accurate, flat-shooting and ballistically stable, especially with 103-105 VLD or ELD-X bullets.
I'm pretty sure that the LRP07 qualifies as Fine (Accurate), but I'm not sure whether it's Fine (Reliable) as well.
The LRP07 comes in any barrel length from 16"-22" and I'd be interested in stats for at least the 16" barrel and the 22" barrel.

Smith & Wesson M&P10, 6.5 Creedmoor
An AR-10 type rifle from Smith & Wesson, chambered for the long range 6.5 Creedmoor. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the choice of many 1,000 yard shooters, both in bolt-actions and, increasingly, in AR-10 type gas guns.

Lewis Machine Tool LM8MWS, 6.5 Creedmoor
The LM8MWS comes chambered in a variety of calibers, including the 6.5 Creedmoor. Stats will be very similar to the M&P10, but it might rate Fine (Accurate).

Wilson Combat Recon Tactical 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Creedmoor
Comes in 16-inch, 18-inch and 20-inch barrel length. Stats will be similar to the M&P10 and LM8MWS, but I'm not sure whether it rates Fine or not.

Last edited by Icelander; 12-28-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote