View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 AM   #195
Icelander

Default Chase Taylor's Letters to his Daughters

Envelope address:
723 South Candler Street,
Decatur, GA 30030

Daddy’s dearest Betty Rose.

I received your drawing and the letter you sent with it. It is a very nice doggie and I am sure you would be great friends. But doggies need to be fed, taken for walks and their poo-poo cleaned up, every day. Not just the days you don’t have anything else to do, but every single day. And if Mommy says that she can’t deal with doggie poo-poo every day, we’ve got to respect that, because Mommy is in charge. I’m sure you loved her present even though it wasn’t a doggie, right honey?
What you might could do, however, is writing to Aunt Lexi and ask her if she minds keeping one of the little doggies next time her Thelma pups. If your Mommy allows and Aunt Lexi doesn’t mind, you could pick out the doggie and name it, but it would live with Aunt Lexi and you could see it whenever you visit Grandma, your aunts and cousins down yonder in Luverne. Wouldn’t that be a nice solution?
When we were kids, Aunt Lexi, Uncle J.C. and me were the ones who mostly took care of Muddie, our old coonhound. Aunt Lexi's always had doggies since and I reckon she can add one more, especially if she has help with it.
You and your sister both, you got to mind your Mommy well, because she has a very hard job, taking care of a family alone. And make sure to keep telling her how well she’s doing and how much you love her. And how grateful Daddy is that she’s there when he can’t be.
I’m always glad when you find time to write and I especially love your drawings. Maybe next time you can tell me what’s going on at school. Are you getting on any better in math after the Christmas break? Daddy used to have a hard time with math, too. You’re lucky to have Mommy there, she’s good at everything and can help you with your homework.
Daddy loves you and misses you, little angel. A thousand kisses and hugs.

Your Daddy,

Mackenzie Chase Taylor.

Dear Savannah Belle Esquire.

Mommy is quite right that ‘Esquire’ is usually added to men’s names in formal correspondence and that young women use ‘Miss’ instead. But as I’m sure she’ll tell you, that shouldn’t bother you none. Being born Daddy’s little princess doesn’t mean you can’t also be a prince, king, chairman, president or esquire. Use any title you want, sweetie Belle, it’s a good first step to becoming anything you want.
I’m glad you liked my present. Daddy never read enough when he was young, but I liked the movies. I’d warn you not to be scared of the Ring-Wraiths and other bogeys, but I remember that you’ve told me that you’re not scared of anything. All the same, you’ll have to convince Mommy first before I’ll buy you those direwolf-books. From what I hear, they’re violent enough to scare Daddy.
I’m sure Betty just forgot to mention in her letter if she likes her fishing kit. That doesn’t make her ungrateful, sweetie. We all forget things sometimes. Even you, honey, at least you must, though Daddy can’t remember you ever forgetting anything since you were about two years old.
I know it seems like Mommy and Daddy keep harping on the same thing, but you’ve got to get on better with your sister. It’s easy to focus on what makes us different and forget about what we have in common, sweetie, but Daddy wants you to try your best. You can find a reason to love most any person, let alone your sister, who is just as wonderful and lovable as you are.
Siblings fight and argue sometimes, but they’ve got to make up at the end of the day. Uncles Junior and J.C. and Aunts A.B. and Hailey made Daddy furious sometimes when we were young, but now that we’re grown up, Daddy loves them all and is grateful that you girls have them as a family.
Daddy is fine, sweetie, and thank you for asking. There's really no news to tell, at least not yet, but I did hear from some old acquitances and if something comes of it, I'll make sure to let you know.
Keep telling me what you learn in school. That way, Daddy will at least have a chance at understanding all you know when you grow up.
I love you very much, sweetie-Belle. Keep holding the fort and kiss your Mommy and sister from me.

Your Daddy,

Mackenzie Chase Taylor.

Last edited by Icelander; 12-14-2017 at 03:51 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote