View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #24
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy with only one Spellcaster "Class"

Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I never quite got this characterization of healers, whatever their power source or official profession.
I used the term heal-bot because it's a common term. GURPS tends towards an out-of-combat only healing model, as do many editions of D&D.
I didn't feel much like a bot or a henchman . . . often, I felt a little too capable.
Yes, that's the 3/3.5e CoDzilla -- it was generally agreed that clerics and druids, over the entire span of levels, were the most powerful class by a substantial margin (mid to high level wizards are comparably powerful, but have at least a few levels of being bad). However, I was using the term 'henchman' to indicate an npc henchman...
This is even more true in the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, thanks to active defenses and absorptive DR. On average, a party of well-designed characters will dodge, parry, or block most things and have a good percentage of what's left go "ka-PWING!" off armor, so once again, there's no need to heal all the time.
My experience of high point GURPS fantasy is that you wade through a lot of fights completely untouched and then suddenly get dropped to below 0 HP from a single hit. Absent healing effects, you then get to spend a month healing.
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote