View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
tbone

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

{Original Post: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=2117606}

ME: "Good morning! Imma do so much today!"
SJG: "O Hai! I haz DFRPG PDFs!"
[later...]
PEOPLE WAITING FOR ME TO DO THINGS: "...Hello?... Where are you all day today?..."

Here's an unwashed handful of observations after initial skimming:
  • Templates: Very nice. Much easier to read. Part of it is due to the Magic of Color; how well will the format carry over to B&W books?
  • No Physician skill? That's a surprise. (I noticed it because of the unusual number of mentions of Esoteric Medicine for healing-related exploits. Well, could be fun...)
  • Perks aren't named "perks", just presented as advantages with 1-pt costs. Nothing wrong with that.
  • The Delvers to Go character raised by Orcs doesn't speak Orcish? Well, I guess they were a tribe that spoke Common. No problem.
  • Delvers to Go nicely includes one of every profession – plus a bonus thief and wizard. Adventurers adds a ready-made knight and cleric. That's 15 ready-to-play PCs!
  • Talents appear to use alternate benefits from the Power-Ups 3: Talents book instead of Reaction Roll mods (with some sensible exceptions). I much approve.
  • Nice selection of weapons. I'm glad to see some of the revised stats from Low-Tech and other books (mainly, higher damage for big axes and the like).
  • Wow, the Armor Table looks a little intimidating. But it includes weights and costs for whole suits, so it's still easy to use for players who don't want to build a suit from pieces. (I'm sure we'll be hearing lots, too, on how the weights are or aren't realistic...)
  • Need to pay a temple for Repair Dismemberment or Resurrection? The costs are printed right on the character forms. This is portentous... : )
  • Cardboard Heroes: Looks like a mix of old and new. Well, I'll withhold judgment for the actual physical minis.
  • The books' art? Hmm... Overall nice, with certain reservations. A topic for another time. (The maps look great!)
Twitter: @Gamesdiner
(Latest goods on the site: Dungeon Fantasy RPG: The Notes (Part V). The World's Slowest Unboxing continues, with some notes on book names, organization of data in books, and what's not included in the DFRPG box.)

Last edited by PK; 08-18-2017 at 12:20 PM.