View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
TheOneRonin

Default Re: Private Game for Jericho Group - Zombie Apocalypse [OOC]

Notes on survival:

A big part of this game is just surviving. Finding food, water, and shelter is going to be critical, and doing that in the middle of summer in Florida is going to be that much more challenging.

Having said that, there are a few rules that are very important in this game that really don't show up often in our other GURPS games, namely FATIGUE.

Page 426 in the GURPS basic set covers most of the Fatigue rules, and the character sheets I created all have a tab at the bottom that summarizes the Fatigue rules I will be using, including how starvation, dehydration, and lack of sleep affects your Fatigue points.

I'm also going to be using a few mechanics from other books. LONG-TERM FATIGUE POINTS comes from the After The End: Wastelanders book. In a nutshell, it starts at Zero and every point of LFP you accumulate lowers your max FP by one.

Also, the GURPS rules in the basic set don't allow for any negative effects for FP loss until you get below 1/3 of your max FPs. I'll be using a different rule that comes from a GURPS Pyramid article called The Last Gasp. Under those rules, FP loss results in gradually increasing penalties. All of the character sheets have a chart on the primary tab that shows what penalties you accrue at each level of FP loss.

Below I have highlighted some Attributes, Advantages, and Skills that can significantly help with FP management:

Strength (ST): While ST doesn't directly influence Fatigue, it does directly influence how much weight you can carry and your encumbrance level. Encumbrance level DOES influence FP loss when fighting and/or hiking. Thus stronger characters carrying the same weight will lose fewer FPs over the same hike than weaker characters.

Health (HT): This is the obvious one. Your HT sets your base FP, and you will be rolling against this attribute often to resist FP loss. With a HT of 10, you only have a 50% chance of succeeding on that roll, while at HT of 14 gives you a 90% chance to succeed.

Fatigue Points: Instead of buying up HT directly, you can buy up individual FPs for 3 points per FP. The benefits are pretty self explanatory.

Fit/Very Fit: These are VERY influential advantages when it comes to FP. In addition to the other benefits they apply, they influence the rate at which you regain lost FP. Very Fit also cuts in half the rate you lose FP. For example, a normal character loses 2 FP per hour when marching with light encumbrance. A character with Very Fit loses on 1 FP per hour for the same march.

Temperature Tolerance: Every level of this Advantage gives you a +1 on your HT roles when resisting FP loss (and LFP gain) from exposure to high/low temperatures. GURPS considers 90 degrees F to be the break-point for high temps. Also, it is a cheap Advantage (1 point per level), but maxes out at 3 levels for normal humans.

Survival (Desert): If your Survival (Desert) skill is higher than your HT, you can roll vs. the skill instead of HT when trying to resist high temps. Currently, only the Army Ranger has this skill on his character sheet. I would need some pretty extensive background to allow this skill on another sheet.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote