View Single Post
Old 09-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #11
waywardz

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Magic Item Backstory Contest

HI, New here at the insistence of my mate and former GM as we have reached the point where we haven't the time to play anymore but still have much love and interest in gurps.

Anyways, my entry is a creation of his, more than likely inspired by my love of Moorcock's Stormbringer.

Tis an ugly burnt black broadsword with a rounded point so not great for thrusting but its edge is beyond razor sharp and never dulls, In short it is a butchers blade with little charm but lots of character.
Its origins were never revealed to me in game or off game by my GM neither was there any legends or saga surrounding its existence, as if the blade itself, although not sentient did not want to be known.
For all the severed heads, legs and arms this blade will grant you, players will find that over time there is a price to pay for holding onto this blade however.
GM's discretion and added RP will be required from the player that holds this blade as over time any number of disadvantages will be added to your character sheet ranging from -1 callous to much more serious mental dark disadvantages such as sadistic, blood lust or on the edge ( GM's discretion based on actions and whim ) not to mention the rep & social disadvantages that can be earned through your actions.
My character rarely killed his opponents outright for example and simply lopped off legs and arms leaving the mopping up to the lesser solders behind him, earning him a rather nasty rep over time and oddly enough the rep was all his not so much the blade he used.
In addition the user will also gain high pain threshold which if you stop and think about it coupled with the disadvantages actually adds to the self destructiveness of this cursed blade.
He eventually died a nasty death at the hand of one of my fellow players and the blade was lost again only to turn up in another campaign but I passed up on it this time as I liked my character the way he was;P

This blade was not named or I did not know it, This character was not sentimental enough to name it himself.

Last edited by waywardz; 09-23-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Typos/Addition