View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 09:15 AM   #26
Landwalker

Default Re: [Practicum] Procedural World-Building Test Run

Chapter 6
  1. Determine Size
    (3d6 > 8 | 1d6-2, 1d6-3 > 1,1) A teeny Tiny region, only a day across in all directions (actual results were zeroes, but the minimum is 1, of course).
  2. Climate and Terrain
    Since I now know that there are mountains to the north, I'm going to decide that the river meeting Snow Elf City from the west is also flowing northwest-to-southeast. So I'm going to make this place this new region "upstream" along that river.

Extending an Alpine river upstream takes a 1d6 (5), revealing another Alpine River region.
  3. Civilization and Settlements
    The civilization roll (3d6 > 8) indicates a "+1" level of civilization. Since we're "leaving" a Civilized region already, that just means the new region will also be Civilized

A Tiny Civilized region gets 1d6-5 cities and 1d3-2 towns, so this particular region will enjoy no cities and one town.
  4. Population Type
    1d6,1d6 (3,1) means that this short stretch of river is inhabited by Humans. But are they in cahoots with the infernalists downriver?
  5. Theme
    My initial 1d6,1d6 roll is (5,4), which is "re-roll or choose". I'm kind of creatively flat this morning, so re-roll it is! (2,3) means that this region's theme is Haunted. Spoooooky. Maybe not in cahoots with the infernalists, but it's unclear at this time whether these humans are involved in the necromantic arts, or are "simply" living among the ghosts of those who came before them.
    Man, this region is so small I can barely even fit all the labels on it.

Chapter 6a
  1. Determine Size
    (3d6 > 13 | 4d6,2d6 > 14,8) Yet another Large region, just a bit smaller than the Wilderness Mountains from last chapter.
  2. Climate and Terrain
    I have a few possibilities about where to put this new region. I could keep moving north and probably get into some truly arctic lands. I could go east of the Wilderness, east or south of Infernal Human Mountains, southwest of the Semi-Civil Dwarves, or I extend one of the river branches one way or another.

I think for this I'm going to move southwest of the dwarves, though. So we'll be progressing from Semi-Civilized Temperate Hills. 3d6 (13) means "Same Climate, Same Terrain", so more Temperate Hill country!
    A 3d6 (9) shows +0 relative civilization, which means we're looking at a Large Semi-Civilized hill country here.

Large Semi-civilized regions get 1d3 towns, so this area will boast two towns.
  4. Population Type
    1d6,1d6 (2,2) indicates that there are Humans in these here hills.
  5. Theme
    (6,5) yields another "Re-roll or choose" result, and I get (2,4) Historical on the re-roll. More ruins or something!

Chapter 6b
  1. Determine Size
    (3d6 > 11 | 2d6,1d6 > 6,3) Here we get a nice, cozy Small region, perfectly average in size.
  2. Climate and Terrain
    This region is going to go due-west of Snow Elf City, south of Haunted Humans, north of Semi-Civil Religious Dwarves. I think I'm going to be using the Civilized Snow Elves as my starting point.

(3d6 > 11) Same Climate, Same Terrain, which means Alpine River! It also means yet another new river. I think this one is going to flow south-to-north out of the Dwarven Holy Hills, so I'll probably drop a small lake in that region to act as a source.

Since I've already generated a "width" for this region, I'm going to deviate a little from the "long and snaky" template for river regions and make this one a little "fatter", but with a very sinuous, winding river to "make up for it".
    A 3d6 (10) is another +0 relative civilization, so another Civilized region!

A roll on the settlements table yields one city and one town.
  4. Population Type
    1d6,1d6 (4,6) Perhaps conveniently, these are human-inhabited lands, so they may end up meshing well with the Civilized Humans in the Tiny Haunted region to the north.
  5. Theme
    (4,6) means that, like the Snow Elves, these humans are Rich. This world's alpine latitudes are proving to be both very profitable and very hazardous.

---------------

The World So Far
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote