View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #20
whswhs

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Mimicry and Singing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
But so does a flute, trumpet, oboe, or any other wind instrument. I like moving this to IQ, personally, with Per float for learning songs by ear. That's how I'd treat Musical Instrument, too. Any sort of inprov shiuld definitely be IQ-based. I am surprised that Singing covers the performance, too, since we have a skill for that - Perfomance. I'd probably (continue) keeping these separate skills, myself. I've seen plenty of technically good musicians on many different instruments play notes perfectly and still be plain and boring as plain, unsalted cream of wheat.
Years ago, I ran a campaign where four of the five PCs were talented musicians. They all rolled both their music skill and Performance, and one of them also rolled Sex Appeal for most of her songs.

In today's GURPS, you would use Performance as a complementary skill for Singing or Musical Instrument in a serious venue. In a more casual one where making an impression was a bigger deal than technical competence, you could swap them.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote