View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #122
Varyon

Default Re: How Do You Handle Bleeding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VariousRen View Post
It needs some polish, but I like it. I've been working on a Unified Wounding document for use in my campaigns, and I'll give the scheme you've used some serious consideration. If I use it, I'll be integrating it with my Blood Points concept.

Currently, the primary problem with your system is that it's highly likely to stop bleeding far too quickly. An average person who takes a massive 10 HP injury has a 50/50 chance to pull through without any assistance - on average he'll pass every second check to reduce bleeding, so he'll suffer 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1 and then be stable at -12 HP, requiring a single Death Check.

If we assume the intended case to be an HT 10 character suffering a 5 HP injury (for -1 to HT), he normally rolls against 9 to avoid bleeding, giving him a 37.5% chance of doing so. Rolling 9 three times in a row has a 5.28% chance, although he's got several shots at doing so. Rolling a 3 or 4 is a 1.85% event. If I'm remembering the way probabilities work out, in n rolls you have n-2 chances of rolling a given number 3 times in a row. You need 13 chances to reach a 50% chance of rolling 9 three times in a row, so we'll assume you need an average of 30 rolls to stabilize. 30 rolls has a 43% chance of getting a critical success, so the actual number may be a bit below this. Regardless, 62.5% of those 30 rolls are going to result in 1 HP of injury (we'll ignore the possibility of Critical Failures, since we're ignoring the possibility of Critical Successes), for a further 18 or so points of injury.

Thus, an unassisted, average character who suffers a 5 HP wound "should" suffer from 18 further injury over the course of half an hour. Reducing the time should be acceptable, so let's see what changes to your system are needed to increase the further damage from 6 to 18 injury. If you require 3 successful rolls - not in a row, simply total - for every reduction, the character will suffer 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1 on average, which is a total of 18 injury over 12 minutes. Each Critical Success counts as 3 normal successes. Each First Aid success counts as a single success, and also has the benefit of reducing bleeding by 1 point for the next minute only. If you want faster bleeding - in which case it can become tactically important - have blood loss per minute equal the injury of the wound, but have each success reduce it by 2 points (criticals reduce by 6). In that case, that 5 HP wound will average 5, 5, 3, 3, 1, 1, for a total of 18 injury over only 6 minutes. For the first minute, the character is losing 1 HP every 12 seconds, which can come into play during the actual combat itself.

In either case, you'll probably want to track bleeding for each wound separately. While two 10-HP wounds are going to bleed at around the same rate as a single 20-HP wound (6 or 20 per minute for the first case, 5 or 20 per minute for the second), the first case has the potential to recover much faster, which seems appropriate.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote