Old 07-10-2015, 11:15 AM  
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School

I came here to teach
And in answering questions
I did also learn
— Some hack
In GURPS, "learning" is often just a euphemism for "spending points on new traits that make my character more powerful." That's fine, but sometimes you want more than that – whether because realism matters or because education is a theme of an adventure or even the whole campaign. In situations like these, Chapter 9 of the GURPS Basic Set might not be enough . . . which is why we've released GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School.

This supplement builds on the existing mechanics for learning, elaborating on the options in the Basic Set and other supplements, and offering entirely new ideas (like treating study as a "job" that pays in hours toward new skills instead of in $). It also views training from the instructor's perspective, explaining how the Teaching skill works in play, extending GURPS Social Engineering to the teacher-student relationship, and addressing practical matters (such as getting paid!). It covers a variety of ancillary concepts, too, from tuition fees to shifting points from skills to attributes to reflect the holistic benefits of a broad education. Yet it isn't all crunch – gamers who want to run campaigns that use these rules will find plenty of advice on how to make that interesting.

Fond of heroes who study somewhere other than at the School of Hard Knocks? Interested in a campaign inspired by high-school themed anime or a certain well-known school of witchcraft and wizardry? Want to make anything from realistic Special Forces training to being Trained by a Master an adventure rather than a background story? GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School is your textbook!

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-1668
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote