View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 03:21 AM   #152
Icelander

Default Highlights of session eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I very much enjoy these threads, but I almost certainly know less than you about both London in 1888 and the pulp fiction which is inspiring you, and like most people this season I am tired and busy. Good luck!
The session succeeded, although Reggie Woodsworth's storyline advanced very little (and so I still have time to detail the other guests at the villainous dinner party). We established that the company will be mixed and there are places for eight guests. The player does not know who the other six guests are, apart from himself and Atreus, the apparent leader of the army that has captured the Royal Mint and is besieging the Tower of London.

Highlights of the session were, among other things: A wilderness adventure in what was formerly Royal Mint Square and a small neat park with budding shrubberies; a surprisingly normal supper of chicken soup, shepherd's pie and cold cuts in Col. Wilkinsons's rooms; some cool ground-fighting with Technical Grappling against a chimp-ruffian; two gunfights with mysterious grey men who ride fiery trains (one of whom sported a Gatling gun steampunk mecha arm (that sadly jammed)); and succesful diplomacy and coalition-building with parties ranging from East End thugs through colonial adventurers through British soldiers and all the way up to a sentient telephone system.

The finale was a dungeon crawl into Aldgate station of the underground, where the PCs and a section of riflemen decimated waves of attacking feral ghoul creatures and destroyed a warband of spider-people abominations. Aside from presiding over highly effective volley fire in the best traditions of the service, Col. Wilkinson also bagged a savage three-headed dog the size of a huge Clydesdale with "Lil' Thumper", his 4-bore elephant rifle.

Edit: As for not knowing enough, I welcome any suggestions and ideas. A mention of a villainous sea captain over lunch just now led to my decision to develop a smuggler, slave dealer and arms runner among the villains, who will be at the dinner. I'm thinking that he'll be from the American South and have spent the two decades after the Civil War as an adventurer and smuggler in various oceans of Africa and Asia, filibuster in Cuba and South America and a thoroughgoing villain with good manners.

I need a good Southern name for him, reflecting upper class plantation origins and fortune enough to outfit a fast merchant ship, but mortgages enough to justify using it for desperately dangerous but profitable smuggling even in the Antebellum era. He'd be in his fifties now, having been a very young officer in a slaver to the Carribbean in the 1850s and a naval Captain during the Civil War.

I don't know whether to make him descended from Louisiana Creoles or (possibly pretended) Cavalier origins if he's from South Carolina, Virginia or Maryland. Suggestions?

Last edited by Icelander; 01-04-2015 at 07:42 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote