View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #15
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: Watcher at the End of Time clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
However, like everything on a monster's "Traits" list, that's fast and loose . . . it isn't meant to be reverse-engineered for point-build, but rather to come acceptably close to the text description.
This is really important to remember. The Dungeon Fantasy stats for monsters pretty much are not complete - it's more like a list of what we can't show elsewhere. This is why there is a lack of Sharp Teeth, Strikers, Innate Attack, etc. on them. The actual effects are spelled out elsewhere, so it's not repeated.

The main cases where it's spelled out are where it was felt by the author(s) that it wouldn't be clear otherwise, or as a Trait they take less wording than else. A good example of that is Arm ST for the Giant Ape - it's effectively folded into striking and the "ST for grappling" numbers, but including it answered a lot of "Why?" questions for a tiny wordcount. Another is No Fine Manipulators for Corpse Golems - it's just making it clear that yes, we really meant "sickles in lieu of hands" and not "also, they have working hands or a substitute that works like them."

A complete workup would have everything detailed out, but DFM1 wasn't aiming for "complete workups" just "completely ready monsters."
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev

Last edited by Peter V. Dell'Orto; 06-11-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: grammar
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote