View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #15
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: GURPS Magical Styles: Dungeon Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post

So you guys are saying the the GUILD of Iron Mages isn't a good choice when making an Enchanters Guild?
Nobody is saying that. We're saying that in books labeled "Dungeon Fantasy," Enchantment spells are off-limits because they aren't how magic items are created in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. That genre treatment assumes that most magic items worth owning are forgotten artifacts made by lost races, ancient relics from an age when magic worked differently, gifts from gods, oddities from other dimensions, etc. The low-end ones available in shops are mass-produced by non-adventuring guilds using methods that don't closely resemble Enchantment spells. GURPS Thaumatology is full of likely candidates for the latter.

The whole GURPS Magic approach to enchanting isn't a very good fit to GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, and the nonexistence of PC enchanters is part of Dungeon Fantasy canon. Thus, a book of styles for Dungeon Fantasy isn't going to get into enchanting. As I said earlier, there's advice on p. 5 if you want to use this supplement outside of Dungeon Fantasy, and that essay specifically says that Red-Robes should probably know weapon and armor enchantments in non-Dungeon Fantasy campaigns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

Does it matter to PCs what NPC-only spells they can learn after they retire their characters from play? I think Dungeon Magic as written is primarily for player characters.
That is 100% correct. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy does not concern itself with non-adventuring PCs, and supplements for that series deliberately omit discussion of such PCs to remain on message. Dungeon Fantasy is meant to be a narrow genre treatment that lops off all complications unrelated to slaying and looting. Adding in such things as enchanting and retirement plans would muddy the waters of a series that is at this point nicely focused. I don't plan to make that sacrifice.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote