View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
The-Original-Lonewolf

Location: Yeovil. Back with Pompy crew. Going to next con on the Phil Masters list.
Default Re: Questions on firearms in fourth edition.

The default answer was

Damage Type can be determined by the calibre of the weapon for slug throwers.
Less than .34 (8.5mm) damage is pi-
.34(8.5mm) to less than .40 (10mm) damage is pi
.40 to .60 (10-15mm) damage is pi+
Over .60(15mm) damage is pi++
All energy weapons get the Burn damage type.

Laser weapons do not get those silly auto fire rules from third edition. They do all get the armour divisor of (2). Base damage dice should be double as well.

Snap Shot statistic is simply dropped off the weapon table.

Accuracy is lower in fourth edition. A good result is to simply half all the accuracy modifiers and round down. Add two onto accuracy for energy weapons.

The weapons get a Bulk according to this table designed by (ah forgotten! This not my idea but someone else)
Bulk -1: Small pistols like .38 snubnose and holdout pistols
Bulk -2: Most other pistols - both automatics and revolvers
Bulk -3: Large-caliber (.40+) handheld firearms and small SMGs (Mac-10)
Bulk -4: Larger SMGs (Uzi), carbine-style longarms, modern assault rifles
Bulk -5: Most other longarms (shotguns, hunting rifles)
Bulk -6: Muskets, sniper rifles, bazookas, RPGs
Bulk -8: Shoulder-fired SAMs, flamethrowers

Recoil becomes a positive number and is increased by one. Recoilless weapons like lasers get recoil of one. Shotguns get recoil of one as well because they are firing buckshot.

ROF remains the same except for shotguns where the X9 can be added for the new buckshot rules.

Weight, Cost, Range and everything else remains the same.

Design Notes/Other things to be aware of.
Laser damage has been changed to tight beam burning. All lasers seem to have the (2) amour divisor in fourth edition. Original weapons from the book that start with it are firing X-ray frequency beams. Doubling damage in view of the change in auto fire made sense at the time. Still don't know what this does for the old X-ray bonus. I am going to ignore it for now.

"So many GURPS 3rd Edition books that my laboratory glows with FNORD. With 4th Edition I can achieve the necessary Critical Mass ! If only they knew !"
(Robotic Mechanical Laughter..)

Last edited by The-Original-Lonewolf; 12-31-2005 at 11:27 AM.
The-Original-Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote