View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #41
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: What you can when you have gun against your head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman123 View Post
That's not knocking a weapon away. Nowhere in those rules does it state you can end up in control of the weapon, even on a Judo or Karate-based disarm.
True enough, but doesn't it seem logical that if you

(a) Grab the weapon first, absorbing and/or buying off the -4 to grab the gun and the -6 for Rapid Strike, and
(b) Use the Knocking a Weapon Away rules concept - a Quick Contest of relevant skills - to cause your foe to break his grip on the weapon, also absorbing and/or buying off the -6 from Rapid Strike

that it would be logical to have you keep control of it?

Quote:
About the only place it even implies that is the sidebar on MA p 184, which says that "gaining control of an enemy's weapon" which "is the disarming technique"... even though MA does not state that you can use Disarming that way, instead stating that you should just use the 'knocking a weapon away' rules. (I, personally, houserule that you CAN use Disarming that way, but I would just like to point this out.)

About the only way GURPS has to simulate that kind of disarm in RAW is grabbing the gun and making an ST roll to acquire it, which takes way more than the one second he required there, and is also completely useless to anyone who doesn't significantly outstrength their opponent.
Well, it's a good thing someone wrote an entire book on grappling, then, which includes sections on this stuff. Oh, not published yet? Perhaps the author will drop by with some excerpts or rules hints from that book which will clarify exactly this situation. :-)

Just for fun, since nothing's been leaked for a while:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Technical Grappling, p. 00

Disarming
see Martial Arts, p. 70
Default: prerequisite skill.
Prerequisite: Any unarmed combat or Melee Weapon skill;cannot exceed prerequisite skill+5.

Disarming replaces skill in Quick Contests when used with Drop That Weapon! (p. 00). Calculate Trained ST for this purpose based on Disarming level. Use the same progression as the parent skill: Disarming with a stick weapon uses the average progression, Judo or Broadsword would use the slow progression, etc. A successful parry with a trapping (p. 00) weapon allows you to attempt an instant disarm (p. 00) on your next turn at no penalty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Grappling, Instant Disarms
You can also attempt to force an object or weapon out of your foe’s grasp by first grappling him or his weapon, and then rolling a Quick Contest of Arm or Hand Lock or Disarming (p. 00) vs. his Retain Weapon. Either party may make the roll ST-based if using Disarming or Retain Weapon.

If you make your roll and win, your opponent is forced to let go of the weapon. If you lose or tie, he keeps it (possibly with a reduced grip). The original possessor of the weapon does not need to succeed with his roll to keep his own weapon!

If you had grabbed your opponent, victory puts the weapon on the ground. If you grabbed the weapon, you may retain possession if [FNORD conditions apply]. Otherwise, the weapon is dropped.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote