View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Bruno

Default Re: Electrical Power represented as FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myckou View Post
This sounds like what I'll probably end up doing however when the source is limited, in the case of batteries and such, I'm looking for a way to judge how much FP in the form of an ER could be gathered from them. Like how would I judge how much FP could be gathered from a car, semi, or industrial battery before they're drained?
Since "FP" aren't a real world unit, there is no generic rule on how to convert from watt seconds to FP. Therefore that's basically a factor of how much of a discount you're getting from your Accessability - the bigger the discount, the less-efficient your conversion rate is going to be.

GURPS Magic Technology college spells use the conversion of 1 kilowatt-hour = 10 energy (360 kilowatt-seconds or 360 kilojoules = 1 FP). That's a pretty harsh ratio if you're looking to eat 9V batteries like popcorn - a 9V battery has ~0.00007 kilowatt-hours...

A 6V lantern battery (the chunky big square ones) are better, with 0.003 kilowatt-hours, but that's still only 10.8 kilowatt-seconds. You'd need 34 to regain 1 FP/ER. At about $9 each online, that's ~$306 (plus tax) and 50 lbs per FP, which as a Trigger probably counts as Expensive (or at least a big pain), and thus -20%, if you're going for 1/minute Regeneration.

I pulled up a premium car battery at $180 with exactly 360 watt-seconds, which is more affordable, but just about as heavy.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote