Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Pyramid #3/44: Alternate GURPS II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Build 2 [8]
HT 14 [40]
FP 10 [-12]
Speed -1 [-20]
You'll note that what you're doing here has nothing to do with anything in my article at all.

You've managed to get +4 to HT rolls by selling back speed and FP, which basically says that a +4 to ALL HT-based stuff costs 8 points, or 2 points per level, which is less than the cost of one single HT skill once you get to the 4/level cost.

As a result, HT/Speed/FP is already a bit of a point crock, and my adding AP isn't the source of the problem (but does make it worse). Nothing I can do about that other than if AP costs 2/level, make HT cost at least 12 per level.

If you look at it this way

Metabolism Control: +1 to many HT rolls for stuff that isn't skills; this is similar to Fit: 5 points seems to be the right price for this.
Fatigue Points: 3 per level
Basic Speed: 20 points per level, requires +4 HT for each +1: 5 points
Skills: There aren't that many HT-based skills - 11 in the Basic Set. A Talent that raises all of those skills by +1 costs 10 points. (see below for why this is probably too high)
Action Points: 2 per level.

So just adding up the pieces, HT should probably cost 25 points per level! Now, the "+1 to all skills" bit tends to be discounted for attributes:

DX, for example, is 20 per level.
+1 to 13 or more skills is 15/level (again, this is probably discounted when push comes to shove)
DX figures into Basic Speed as well: 5/level

That's 20 points right there, even without the benefit of making DX rolls to stay upright, or make a striking or grappling attack or defense using just DX.

Now, let's suppose that the cost of the ability to buy skills with attributes is discounted by 1/2 to 2/3 because it's just more efficient to train EVERYTHING having to do with fitness or coordination than do one thing at a time. So the cost of all HT skills is 3-5 points (5-7 less than above, or 7-9 less if you also strip out AP), and the cost of all DX skills would thus be 5-7 points.

That still argues for HT at around 11-13 points if you don't add in AP, and 13-15 points if you DO.

TL;DR

Net/net: if you want to avoid funky crap like that, price HT at 15 points per level. Otherwise, you're just straining your gears to no good purpose.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote