View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
PK

Default Re: Pyramid #3/30 - Spaceships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I'm not much of a fan of Spaceships
I need to point out that I was surprised at how little this issue depends upon GURPS Spaceships! Yes, there are some ship stats in there, but this issue is far from an expansion on that series -- the range of articles is impressive, making for a very versatile issue.

Practical Astromancy: This is an expansion for GURPS Technomancer, focusing on the space programs' use of Teleport and other Gate spells to transport people and things into orbit, onto the surface of other planets, etc. Tons of cool info for anyone who's a fan of that setting.

One With the Ship: Rules for using neural interfaces to control vehicles (ships or otherwise). Includes new cyberwear, new psionic abilities, a full template for a neural wheelman, and more. Useful for any game with a focus on vehicles.

Mass Combat in Space: David's column, merging the Spaceships and Mass Combat rules. Finally, the rules from Mass Combat move off planet! This one is obviously tied to both books.

Sky Galleys: The Roma Universalis setting from Pyramid #20 mentioned the Romans conquering other planets by flying sky galleys through the aether . . . and here they are! This one is fairly Spaceships focused, though there's also plenty of general info expanding the original article -- great for running a game in this setting, or just using it for Infinite Worlds.

Hunter-Gatherer: An adventure involving a mysterious ship. This does require that the PCs have some way to intercept the ship's orbit (i.e., a spaceship), but 95% of the adventure takes place within the bizarre environmental habitats of the ship -- it's primarily an exploration adventure, just one designed to be dropped into a high-tech game.

To be honest, when I first saw this issue on the wishlist, I was worried that it would end up as just one article after another filled with lists of sample ships -- and while such a thing could be useful, it could also be boring. Fortunately, that's not the case at all; this issue really takes a simple concept and runs with it!

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote