View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #24
Bruno

Default Re: Swapping Templates

I PM'd Kromm, asking "Is Alternate Form one advantage with a complicated pricing structure, or several advantages (with a complicated pricing structure)?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Alternate Form is complicated. :P

If you take the 15 point base cost with different power modifiers, then it's a set of different abilities, one per power.

If you take the base cost with the same power modifier, then it isn't – it's one ability with different settings. The fact that you only pay full price for the highest-priced form is sort of an alternative to alternative abilities in that case.

And if there's no power modifier, it's up to you. Making it one ability means you can switch between forms directly. Making it several abilities means you have to resume your base form between changes. On the other hand, making it several abilities means crippling one doesn't cripple them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
If someone only has net-0-or-less point forms, is it valid to use the 1/5th discount for Alternative Abilities? As in, all alternate forms cost the same as or less than the characters base racial template. I suspect someone's immediately going to ask that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Alternate Forms aren't meant to be made exclusive via alternative abilities, no. They're intrinsically exclusive . . . you can't be a bear and a wolf. They get a discount in that all those cheaper than the most expensive one are a flat 15 points. I guess we could have seen the future and set the "fair" cost by pricing them all at 15 + 0.9Δ and then going with full cost for the top one and (15 + 0.9Δ)/5 for the rest, but we didn't.

So there you go.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote