View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #263
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: GURPSify yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie View Post

I'm impressed, and a bit crushed that you gave yourself only an IQ 12. I would have thought at least IQ 13...
I actually considered 11! In my view, the most accurate things on that character sheet are those Dabbler perks, and much of the perceived "intelligence" on my part is knowing trivia – the sort you can recall on a skill roll at +1 to +10 – associated with all the skills those cover. You want random facts about Canadian history? My dad has been decorated as a historian and I lived with him for my formative years, so of course I can recall a few things. You want a tidbit about lab equipment? I spent 10 years around centrifuges, cryogenics plants, diffusion pumps, force microscopes, fume hoods, lock-in amplifiers, scintillation counters, X-ray diffractometers, and even a small nuclear reactor in my capacities as student, lab worker, chemical-safety officer, and researcher. And so on.

I've always regarded the hallmark of high GURPS IQ to be excellence in diverse areas, and I don't really think that's me. I spent the first 18 years of my life perfecting Professional Skill (Exam-Writing) and the next 10 years working on Physics – both of which I've largely forgotten – and the past 16 years on Professional Skill (Editor) and Writing, which doubtless inter-default generously. I'd love to have IQ 13, or even justify that 12, but I'm probably just a trivia buff who has apparent breadth thanks to lots of Dabbler.

Frankly, a lot of what I consider interesting trivia about me don't even show up at GURPS' resolution. For instance, I don't drive, watch television, or follow athletics. I don't smoke and I've never smoked. I've been tested as an ENTP personality type, 45/55 feminine/masculine identity, with standardized IQ 140 (which I feel has little bearing on GURPS IQ). I'm assuredly heterosexual despite having a gender-ambiguous test personality. I adore women with red hair and those of Arab descent, but as I'm strictly monogamous, none of that matters. I'm a political centrist and a secular humanist (my monogamy is unelated to faith). My natural schedule is 11:00-03:00. I recycle and compost.

I bet that all of that stuff would trigger more likes and dislikes in real people than most of what's on my character sheet . . . and that those reactions more so than my actual intellect would affect how people would perceive my GURPS IQ! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie View Post

I also didn't realize that you are actually a year younger than I am.
I guess so! I was born in 1967.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote