View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 02:02 PM   #17
Phil Masters

Default Re: Foreign legion in THS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.D.
The chinese have comitted acts of agression towards various factions, like the TSA and the red duncanites. People retaliating agains them would be comitting a legitmate act of warfare, just like the american pilots who bombed lybia years ago were.
Plenty of terrorists (that is, people who are generally labelled as such by most of the rest of the world) consider that they're retaliating against past acts of aggression. Actually, I think that most do. They can often make a pretty good case, once you accept the initial premise that retaliation is always a good and justified idea.

Sure, if they wear uniforms and operate clearly marked military vehicles, they can argue that they're more like soldiers than terrorists. But this stuff is flexible. Plenty of people who were fighting in some sort of uniform have ended up shot or hung for what they did regardless. And if they're supposedly fighting for something other than a recognised state - well, they can't be fighting in a legally declared war (because only states can declare war), and there's nobody can object to what's done to them through regular channels (because only states can use those channels). A real state that catches them can generally get away with saying that they aren't soldiers, they're murderers in goofy costumes.

Anyhow, yes, the Legion Etrangere... There was even some discussion of building a whole TS supplement around them at one stage.

"To the legion of the lost ones, to the cohort of the damned,
To my brethren in their sorrow in the Belt,
Sings a sapient mental image cleanly scanned, machinely crammed,
And a trooper of the RATS squad, fit to melt.
We're poor little lambs who've lost our way,
Baa! Baa! Baa!
We're little black sheep who've got astray,
Baa--aa--aa!
Gentleman-xoxes seeking a cause,
Damned from here to the heliopause,
Tipler's mercy for us without laws,
Baa! Yah! Bah!"
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote