Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   [MA] Hobby Skill: Feats of Strength (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=129771)

vicky_molokh 10-20-2014 05:52 PM

[MA] Hobby Skill: Feats of Strength

Greetings, all!

Martial Arts (p. 57) lists Hobby Skill (Feats of Strength) as a way to show off - not just in terms of raw strength, but stuff like fire walking, nail-bedding etc. My question is, what other sorts of examples are there that would fit under the skill's umbrella. I'm particularly interested in which ones would go with which attributes.

Thanks in advance!

sir_pudding 10-20-2014 06:10 PM

Re: [MA] Hobby Skill: Feats of Strength

I'm not sure if fire-walking requires any rolls at all. It's a trick based on the low thermal conductivity of ash. Anybody can do it without any training or practice whatsoever.

Peter Knutsen 10-20-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_pudding (Post 1827388)
I'm not sure if fire-walking requires any rolls at all. It's a trick based on the low thermal conductivity of ash. Anybody can do it without any training or practice whatsoever.

Will to actually dare to try it? With a generous bonus from the massive spectacle and ritualism performed by the people surrounding the character?

sir_pudding 10-20-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen (Post 1827430)
Will to actually dare to try it? With a generous bonus from the massive spectacle and ritualism performed by the people surrounding the character?

Yes, maybe Will+4 roll or something. I've done it several times, once you know it's a trick it really isn't very difficult. It certainly doesn't require any rolls to perform the feat itself (which is walking moderately quickly). There's normally no roll to walk in GURPS (which is good).

simply Nathan 10-20-2014 09:53 PM

Arm wrestling
Muscle flexing
"Realistic" Breaking Blow

sir_pudding 10-20-2014 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans (Post 1827463)
"Realistic" Breaking Blow

That's Breaking Blow with the Unusual Training perk, canonically I think.

Gedrin 10-20-2014 10:18 PM

Ripping a Phone Book in half...presuming you could find one.

whswhs 10-20-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gedrin (Post 1827474)
Ripping a Phone Book in half...presuming you could find one.

The latter is probably Scrounging, still.

Bill Stoddard

malloyd 10-20-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_pudding (Post 1827440)
Yes, maybe Will+4 roll or something. I've done it several times, once you know it's a trick it really isn't very difficult. It certainly doesn't require any rolls to perform the feat itself (which is walking moderately quickly). There's normally no roll to walk in GURPS (which is good).

Although there are ways to mess it up, like failing to police all the rocks out of your bed of ashes or catching a coal in the hem of your pants and setting them on fire. And you could always trip and fall. A skill roll to see if you suffer a critical failure doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Actually though I think once you have practiced them enough not to suffer a familiarity penalty (a couple hours at most, usually just performing them a couple times will do) most Feats of Strength rolls are effectively Performance rolls. It's not that a (non-critical) failure means the trick didn't work at all, but that you didn't do it well enough for your audience to be *impressed*.

sir_pudding 10-20-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malloyd (Post 1827480)
Actually though I think once you have practiced them enough not to suffer a familiarity penalty (a couple hours at most, usually just performing them a couple times will do) most Feats of Strength rolls are effectively Performance rolls. It's not that a (non-critical) failure means the trick didn't work at all, but that you didn't do it well enough for your audience to be *impressed*.

You have to be strong enough to do some of them. I'm not going to be pulling any train engines or anything.