Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Roleplaying in General (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=132752)

Captain Joy 02-12-2015 07:55 AM

Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood Legend (Post 500696)

The above link is no longer valid. I've poked around and haven't been able to find this or any quiz that spits out what kind of Law's player type you are. Can anyone help me out?

EDIT: I ended up making my own online questionnaire, last updated 2018 Dec 11.

Peter Knutsen 02-12-2015 09:18 AM

Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz
 
You can buy the book. It's quite good. There's no quit in it, though, just descriptions of the 7 player types and advice on how to keep them satisfied.

Captain Joy 02-12-2015 11:19 AM

Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen (Post 1869356)
You can buy the book. It's quite good. There's no quit in it, though, just descriptions of the 7 player types and advice on how to keep them satisfied.

I recently finished rereading it. I was hoping to have my players take an online quiz.

Peter Knutsen 02-12-2015 11:28 AM

Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz
 
Maybe Internet Archive/WaybackMachine has it archived?

aesir23 02-12-2015 11:35 AM

Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen (Post 1869386)
Maybe Internet Archive/WaybackMachine has it archived?

Indeed. Here it is: https://web.archive.org/web/20140605...ws-game-style/

[EDIT] Unfortunately, while you can take the test, it won't actually give you your results. :(

Captain Joy 02-12-2015 12:27 PM

Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aesir23 (Post 1869389)
Indeed. Here it is: https://web.archive.org/web/20140605...ws-game-style/

[EDIT] Unfortunately, while you can take the test, it won't actually give you your results. :(

Hey, it's more than I had a few minutes ago. Thanks to everybody involved.

Now the task becomes figuring out how those answers translated to results. Somehow, your choices ended up giving you a percentage (between 0 and 100% presumably) for each of Robin's player types. The percentages did not add up to 100%.

aesir23 02-12-2015 01:20 PM

Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz
 
It should be a simple task to figure out which answer corresponds to each play style and work out your own percentages.

Phantasm 02-13-2015 07:27 AM

Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Joy (Post 1869398)
Hey, it's more than I had a few minutes ago. Thanks to everybody involved.

Now the task becomes figuring out how those answers translated to results. Somehow, your choices ended up giving you a percentage (between 0 and 100% presumably) for each of Robin's player types. The percentages did not add up to 100%.

What the percentages do is tell you how closely you fit a given type. For example, I'm equally 75% Method Actor and Storyteller, with 30% Butt-Kicker and 5% Tactician. What this means is that I fit 75% of the Ideal Method Actor and 75% of the Ideal Storyteller, 30% of the Ideal Butt-Kicker, and 5% of the Ideal Tactician. I know someone who is a 95% fit for Ideal Tactician; you can imagine how we clash at times.

Peter Knutsen 02-13-2015 10:09 AM

Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aesir23 (Post 1869412)
It should be a simple task to figure out which answer corresponds to each play style and work out your own percentages.

Most such quizzes are extremley primitively constructed, with each of the replies giving 100% score to one "style" and 0% score to other styles.

A more sophisticated quiz would have some questions with replies that gives 50% score to two different styles, and so forth, but since the Player Type quiz is most likely of the first kind (those being much faster and much less brain-taxing to construct), it ought indeed to be very easy to figure out the scoring.

Captain Joy 02-13-2015 11:02 AM

Re: Robin D. Laws Player Types Quiz
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen (Post 1869703)
Most such quizzes are extremley primitively constructed, with each of the replies giving 100% score to one "style" and 0% score to other styles.

A more sophisticated quiz would have some questions with replies that gives 50% score to two different styles, and so forth, but since the Player Type quiz is most likely of the first kind (those being much faster and much less brain-taxing to construct), it ought indeed to be very easy to figure out the scoring.

I've come up with my own 42 questions questionnaire. Two questions for each pairing of the seven player types (7x6=42). You'll answer: always, usually, sometimes, rarely, or never for each question. Depending on how you answer you'll be weighted towards one of two player types. It is not sophisticated, but I hope it's a least an improvement over the previous 21-questions quiz.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.