Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   [DF19/RPM] Using life force to power magic? (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=146591)

Anders 10-23-2016 01:56 PM

[DF19/RPM] Using life force to power magic?

Is there a way to build a ritual to drain life force in order to power a magic spell without breaking the rule of using magic to help magic?

Refplace 10-23-2016 02:24 PM

Re: [DF19/RPM] Using life force to power magic?

Wouldnt this just be sacrifice?

Christopher R. Rice 10-23-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 2052143)
Is there a way to build a ritual to drain life force in order to power a magic spell without breaking the rule of using magic to help magic?

You could desecrate the land - but it's usually not worth it.

Flyndaran 10-23-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostdancer (Post 2052164)
You could desecrate the land - but it's usually not worth it.

The published ratio doesn't seem worth it in any fathomable set of circumstances I could imagine.

Christopher R. Rice 10-23-2016 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyndaran (Post 2052187)
The published ratio doesn't seem worth it in any fathomable set of circumstances I could imagine.

It's supposed to be a measure of last resort. You could make it worth more from setting to setting if wanted. Depends on what's being done.

Flyndaran 10-23-2016 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostdancer (Post 2052190)
It's supposed to be a measure of last resort. You could make it worth more from setting to setting if wanted. Depends on what's being done.

Which is weird, because the only characters I imagine blighting crops and wild lands do it for amassing power and evil. Of course everything's adjustable in games, bit there are so many other ways to squeeze out a hint more power than that. But I don't want to derail the thread.

PK 10-24-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refplace (Post 2052151)
Wouldnt this just be sacrifice?

That was my first thought as well. "Powering my magic by depleting someone else's life force" = involuntary sacrifice. Unless there's some other meaning to "life force" that Anders intended?

Anders 10-24-2016 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PK (Post 2052314)
That was my first thought as well. "Powering my magic by depleting someone else's life force" = involuntary sacrifice. Unless there's some other meaning to "life force" that Anders intended?

No, that's what I meant. And I see now that it was mentioned. Sorry to have bothered people.

Flyndaran 10-24-2016 03:14 PM

Now I'm wondering about using magic to drain life force but store it as some material that can be used to power magic later.
I think that secondary point was in another thread, but can't remember the thread title.

It could make for a somewhat dark steampunk tech feel if it takes the form of creepy glowing fluid.

Nereidalbel 10-25-2016 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyndaran (Post 2052365)
Now I'm wondering about using magic to drain life force but store it as some material that can be used to power magic later.
I think that secondary point was in another thread, but can't remember the thread title.

It could make for a somewhat dark steampunk tech feel if it takes the form of creepy glowing fluid.

That runs into the "no using magic to be better at magic" rule, unless some class of spells can only be cast using this stolen life force.