Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   The Fantasy Trip (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   New Pole Weapon Rules (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=164073)

Whitewolf199 06-09-2019 06:22 PM

New Pole Weapon Rules

Apologies if this has been covered already... Looking over the new Pole Weapon rules in Melee, the book states that "Pole weapons can strike an enemy not in an adjacent hex." I am pretty clear on the jabbing rules, but does this mean that a pole weapon cannot be used against an adjacent enemy? necessitating a drop of the pole weapon and switch to a non-pole weapon once an enemy comes into an adjacent hex if you wish to attack them? I always considered Pole weapons a little over powered, and now the new jabbing rules seems to make them even better! Any input the community has is welcome. Thank you!

Shostak 06-09-2019 06:57 PM

Re: New Pole Weapon Rules

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitewolf199 (Post 2267882)
I am pretty clear on the jabbing rules, but does this mean that a pole weapon cannot be used against an adjacent enemy? necessitating a drop of the pole weapon and switch to a non-pole weapon once an enemy comes into an adjacent hex if you wish to attack them?

No, they can be used against enemies in adjacent hexes. Pole weapons have been nerfed a bit in the new rules by only adding 1d damage on charges instead of doubling.

Whitewolf199 06-09-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shostak (Post 2267886)
No, they can be used against enemies in adjacent hexes. Pole weapons have been nerfed a bit in the new rules by only adding 1d damage on charges instead of doubling.

Yes, you are correct about the 1d damage vs. doubling, I had forgotten that part. Thanks for your input!

Chris Rice 06-10-2019 02:56 AM

The rules don't say: "Pole Weapons can only strike an enemy not in an adjacent hex."

JohnPaulB 06-10-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitewolf199 (Post 2267882)
Looking over the new Pole Weapon rules in Melee, the book states that "Pole weapons can strike an enemy not in an adjacent hex."

• If you have a spear and you are next to an enemy, you can strike him in the adjacent hex.
  • If you have a spear and your friend is in front of you and next to an enemy that he is fighting, you can stab at the enemy 1 hex away (meaning "not in the adjacent hex.")

The pole weapon has the ability to do both. See "Jab" ITL page 112

xane 07-05-2019 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shostak (Post 2267886)

And you need to move three hexes in a straight line to get the bonus if attacking, otherwise it is just the "first to strike" advantage.

tomc 07-05-2019 08:03 AM

Am I the only one having a hard time "unlearning" pole weapons doing double damage on charge attacks? I just automatically double the damage without thinking.

Also, when rolling for actual double damage (say, rolling a 4 to hit), do you roll the normal number of dice and double it, or do you roll twice as many dice?

xane 07-05-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomc (Post 2272485)
Also, when rolling for actual double damage (say, rolling a 4 to hit), do you roll the normal number of dice and double it, or do you roll twice as many dice?

Interesting question, the only indication I can find is in the Example of Combat on Page 129 which seems to suggest you double the result rather than double the number of dice.

Quote:

He needs an 11 or better. He gets a 4 double damage. He rolls a 4, which would normally mean 5 hits damage. It is doubled to 10.

kjamma4 07-05-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xane (Post 2272488)
Interesting question, the only indication I can find is in the Example of Combat on Page 129 which seems to suggest you double the result rather than double the number of dice.

Either of which method can result in disappointing "critical" hits which result in zero damage.

tomc 07-05-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjamma4 (Post 2272489)
Either of which method can result in disappointing "critical" hits which result in zero damage.

True, but if you're on the receiving end, it's not so disappointing. ;)

I like doubling the damage instead of doubling the dice, since you get a steeper (more dramatic) bell curve, and drama is where it's at.