Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   [Spaceships] Design switches, system availability etc. for Star Wars? (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=53605)

martinl 11-10-2009 12:17 PM

Re: [Spaceships] Design switches, system availability etc. for Star Wars?
 
Don't SW space battles typically occur at rangers considerably closer than WWI capital ship battles?

DemiBenson 11-10-2009 12:20 PM

Re: [Spaceships] Design switches, system availability etc. for Star Wars?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSam (Post 880024)
one more thing about the Piloting-skills for SW...

if we have:
- Piloting(High-Performance Spacecraft/Small) -- Fighter, Shuttles, ... (-SM6)
- Piloting(High-Performance Spacecraft/Medium) -- Freighter, Corvettes... (SM7-9)
- Piloting(High-Performance Spacecraft/Large) -- Cruiser, Heavy-Transport... (SM10+)

...then which defaults from one to another would be appropriate in your opinion?

Leave off the capitol ships - that's Shiphandling and Crewman.

In the SW universe, there's no such thing as low-performance spacecraft (except possibly escape pods), and because of contragravity the default is that all spacecraft have some atmospheric capacity. So you can reduce those to Piloting (Fighter) and Piloting (Destroyer) which covers freighters, transports, etc.

For defaults, make the two Piloting skills default at -4 or more, depending on commonality of vessel's origin and dramatic necessity. Familiarity penalties take care of the X-wing to TIE fighter switch (at most a -2 penalty), and note that in the SW universe, different variants of the same basic shape have no familiarity penalty (all TIE-types have the same cockpit, as do Y-Wings and snow speeders).

Since CG craft are the norm, note that that also means we have Piloting (Repulsorlift). Driving skill is only used for things like AT-ATs and other ground-based craft.

If you want to have an ace pilot who can fly anything, it helps a great deal to get 3D Spacial Sense, or take a talent to cover vehicle operation, or take the Vehicles! wildcard skill.

Demi

OldSam 11-10-2009 03:19 PM

Re: [Spaceships] Design switches, system availability etc. for Star Wars?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuedodeuS (Post 881036)
The Pilot skill should be for, well, piloting. Any specialized tools should be handled with the appropriate skills. Additionally, I suspect the specialized tools of an asteroid miner and repair craft are going to be quite different, so why should one specialization work for both?

yeah, that's really a point...
On the other hand I just learned that Ultra-Tech (p.229) indeed uses the piloting skill for operating utility vertol... (with specialization 'vertol' - though they generally also recommend having Electronic Operations Sensors and Communications)

Obviously there can be a lot of different 'exotic' utility crafts with different size, different tools etc. and working with these vehicles and all their tools obviously covers a much wider field of skill than "mere piloting" of other SW-Spacecraft...
So in my opinion this calls for an option which Kromm recently mentioned in another thread about piloting skill: It's "Exotic Equipment Training" (Power-Ups 2: Perks, p. 9) :-)

This would mean that an operator needs to spend 1 point to buy Exotic Equipment Training for the specific type of Utility Craft - then he knows all the specific controls and tools etc. With this specific requirement I'd say it would not be necessary to have an extra Piloting Specialization for utility craft but the Operator could use the Piloting-Skill for the Size of the specific Utility-Spacecraft...
(being very strict of course one could require both, if you think we have too much asteroid-farmer-players otherwise... *g*)

OldSam 11-10-2009 03:45 PM

Re: [Spaceships] Design switches, system availability etc. for Star Wars?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ectropy (Post 881058)
Leave off the capitol ships - that's Shiphandling and Crewman.

well, but that's not everything... you're right that shiphandling (captain and 1st officer) and crewman-skills are essential for large ships but you still need a pilot, too... ;-)


Quote:

Originally Posted by ectropy (Post 881058)
In the SW universe, there's no such thing as low-performance spacecraft,

yes, I just left the long name because it was the RAW-default... :p
of course in SW it means just Piloting (Spacecraft)...


Quote:

Originally Posted by ectropy (Post 881058)
and because of contragravity the default is that all spacecraft have some atmospheric capacity.

that's an interesting point... I didn't know about that - do the others agree?
so far I used piloting(aerospace) for rolls to fly to/from/in atmosphere - what would be your alternative solution? just ignoring it or giving a penalty...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ectropy (Post 881058)
So you can reduce those to Piloting (Fighter) and Piloting (Destroyer) which covers freighters, transports, etc.

personally I don't really like these pure military skill-names because 'Fighter' also covers shuttles and other small spacecraft and 'Destroyer' for a Freighter/Transporter is even worse =)

Ulzgoroth 11-10-2009 03:50 PM

Re: [Spaceships] Design switches, system availability etc. for Star Wars?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSam (Post 881133)
well, but that's not everything... you're right that shiphandling (captain and 1st officer) and crewman-skills are essential for large ships but you still need a pilot, too... ;-)

Not if you're using Spaceships. You just need a helmsman with Crewman, and the captain or XO directing them.

DemiBenson 11-10-2009 04:26 PM

Re: [Spaceships] Design switches, system availability etc. for Star Wars?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSam (Post 881133)
that's an interesting point... I didn't know about that - do the others agree? so far I used piloting(aerospace) for rolls to fly to/from/in atmosphere - what would be your alternative solution? just ignoring it or giving a penalty...?

I'd say ignore it. With CG lifters and those superscience engines, there's no reason they have to worry about the transition from space to atmosphere, so the "aerospace" parts is just a part of the regular ship's controls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSam (Post 881133)
personally I don't really like these pure military skill-names because 'Fighter' also covers shuttles and other small spacecraft and 'Destroyer' for a Freighter/Transporter is even worse =)

Ok, so use Small/Large, or Short-term/Long-term (for accommodations), or whatever else fits your aesthetic.

Demi

vicky_molokh 11-10-2009 04:29 PM

Re: [Spaceships] Design switches, system availability etc. for Star Wars?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ectropy (Post 881156)
I'd say ignore it. With CG lifters and those superscience engines, there's no reason they have to worry about the transition from space to atmosphere, so the "aerospace" parts is just a part of the regular ship's controls.

I always wondered what the Aerospace speciality is bad at.

RyanW 11-10-2009 08:22 PM

Re: [Spaceships] Design switches, system availability etc. for Star Wars?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by martinl (Post 881056)
Don't SW space battles typically occur at rangers considerably closer than WWI capital ship battles?

Well, in the original trilogy, the only real space battle between opposing fleets was the Battle of Endor. The Alliance fleet specifically (and seemingly unorthodoxly*) closed to "point blank range" to prevent being targeted by the Death Star.

The new trilogy had the Battle of Coruscant, but by the time Ep III came out, my ability to care was fully exhausted.

*It's a word!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.