Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Roleplaying in General (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   bending stereotypes (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=145799)

jason taylor 09-13-2016 07:23 PM

Re: bending stereotypes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyndaran (Post 2039324)
The first one was a recurring character on N.C.I.S. except he was quite a bit over 6 feet. Though all your suggestions lead to massive Mary Sue point bloat, in my opinion.

Well I was mostly trying to simply eliminate the quirks and eccentricities normally associated with a character. In most cop shows for instance the techie is geeky, has eccentric and sometimes disgusting tastes, and so on. Likewise sailors are supposed to be covered with tatoos and drink like pigs at a trough.

Flyndaran 09-13-2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason taylor (Post 2039335)
Well I was mostly trying to simply eliminate the quirks and eccentricities normally associated with a character. In most cop shows for instance the techie is geeky, has eccentric and sometimes disgusting tastes, and so on. Likewise sailors are supposed to be covered with tatoos and drink like pigs at a trough.

I meant that that was why he was memorable at all. He disagreed with geek stereotypes.

But cop shows do give individuals the skills and time of a dozen people. Or in NICS' Abby's case a hundred people. Making a Grups character like that plus athleticism would break the point bank outside of comic books. That kind of would create bargain basement Batman.

jason taylor 09-13-2016 08:40 PM

A serial killer who instead of leaving exotic riddles for the police to solve cleans up his crimes like any other murderer.

David Johnston2 09-13-2016 09:22 PM

A pirate who talks in a lower class London accent.

Flyndaran 09-13-2016 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Johnston2 (Post 2039367)
A pirate who talks in a lower class London accent.

To think that entire stereotype of speech style comes from one man's portrayal in a movie.
It wouldn't have taken much of a change in history for an alternate timeline to have a radically different "pirate accent".
Now I'm giggling over a pirate jumping over the railing to yell, "Hush ya' breeze, bruv! I've here for ya' grimey!"

Flyndaran 09-13-2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason taylor (Post 2039358)
A serial killer who instead of leaving exotic riddles for the police to solve cleans up his crimes like any other murderer.

Dexter?
Or just one that doesn't take souvenirs, return to the scene of the crime, or try to ingratiate themselves to the investigators.

woodchuck 09-13-2016 10:37 PM

A Second Lieutenant that can read a map.

jason taylor 09-13-2016 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodchuck (Post 2039376)
A Second Lieutenant that can read a map.

A second lieutenant who has served for twenty years paired with a sergeant who has served for six months.

vicky_molokh 09-14-2016 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyndaran (Post 2039324)
I can't imagine how drill sergeants can be nice during training and remain effective. Off the clock so to speak and super gentle and caring, sure, but not when doing their job.

Jai Mahakali, Ayo Gurkhali.

RogerBW 09-14-2016 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyndaran (Post 2039372)
Dexter?
Or just one that doesn't take souvenirs, return to the scene of the crime, or try to ingratiate themselves to the investigators.

This is fine in principle, but it's not the way it tends to line up - all the side behaviour seems to be a necessary part of the pathology.

Of course, there's a sampling bias - studies of serial killers necessarily have as their subjects serial killers who have been caught.