Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Munchkin 101 (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Cards on the table vs in your hand (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=114325)

patlhunter 08-03-2013 10:15 AM

Cards on the table vs in your hand
 
I purchased Munchkins Deluxe this week and have read the instructions -- some sections multiple times. However I am struggling with what cards can be placed on the table ... both normal and sideways as well as what cards to keep in your hand.

Some items are obvious like armor but others not so obvious.

Are curses something you can place on the table sideways?

Other than "additional" big items, classes and races are there any cards you can not place on the table sideways?

Can you use a sideways card (one-shot/curse) during combat? Or should that card always be non-sideways anyway?

I am sure I am over complicating the whole thing but wish it was a little more clear in the instructions.

Thank you in advance.

Muse23PT 08-03-2013 10:55 AM

Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand
 
I think that the cards that you can put on the table are all cards that have a coin value on the bottom (even if they say No Value)... these are normally Items and One shot power-ups...

You can't have more than 1 big item on the table (being in use or not) unless you are a Dwarf or have a card that overrides that rule like a Cheat card for example...

From the top of my head I think that's it... but certainly, there will be a better reply than mine from more experienced players :)

GranitePenguin 08-03-2013 11:48 AM

Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by patlhunter (Post 1623143)
Are curses something you can place on the table sideways?

Yes, they can be on the table, but not sideways. If it's a curse that has a lasting effect, it stays on the table to represent that effect until something removes it.

Quote:

Other than "additional" big items, classes and races are there any cards you can not place on the table sideways?
Not really.

Quote:

Can you use a sideways card (one-shot/curse) during combat? Or should that card always be non-sideways anyway?
cards you are "carrying" (ie, on the table turned) can not generally be used in combat. Curses won't be sideways, so that doesn't apply. Per the rules, any one-shot item can be played during any combat. It doesn't say "only one-shots in use."

In general, you are dealing with two types of cards:
  1. cards in play
  2. cards in your hand
cards in play are the cards in front of you. The ones that are right side up are "in use" and the ones that are sideways are "carried". Carried cards provide no benefit (their effect is effectively "off").
cards in your hand generally can not be used, they have to be put in play first. There are exceptions to this, though.

Bampop 08-03-2013 11:54 AM

Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand
 
To be clear, Curses can't be put on the table unused. GranitePenguin is only referring to a Curse which has already been played and is left out as a reminder of a continuing or future effect.

Also, all items on the table are considered to be "carried." Ones displayed vertically are those which are currently "equipped," that is, giving you a bonus in combat. Items turned sideways are ones you can't currently equip, or don't want to. One-shot items DO NOT have to be played sideways, since they don't give you an effect or bonus until they are played. I personally turn them sideways anyway, but that's a personal preference.

patlhunter 08-03-2013 12:09 PM

Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand
 
Thanks everyone that is very helpful.

So in a nutshell ...

Items are something you are wearing.

You can only have 1 big item on the board at a time (unless dwarf or other over ridding card like a Cheat card).

If you have an item that is not appropriate for your class/race or would be extraneous (ie; 2nd headgear or 3rd hand, or 2nd set of armor) you can place that item sideways on the table and it does not count in combat. Noting that a 2nd "Big" item can not be played sideways (unless dwarf/cheat).

One-shots/potions can be on the board -- sideways or vertical -- and are in play anytime.

Non-used Curses, classes, monsters and race cards must remain in a players hand until used to replace class/race, invoke extra monster, "look for trouble" or anytime you want to curse another player. (limit 5 cards in your hand)

You could also keep in your hand (if you chose not to play immediately) any level up cards.

Please feel free to correct or add to anything above.

Thanks again for your responses.

GranitePenguin 08-03-2013 12:15 PM

Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand
 
A related question you may have is: "Why would I deliberately have cards sideways if I know I can't use them?"

The simple answer is cards that are in your hand are not in play. There are things that you can do only with "in play" cards (e.g. trading cards).

Also, you may have something that can be used only by a particular race or class. If you do not currently meet the requirements to have the item "in use", you may still "carry" it. This happens a lot when trying to get down to 5 cards in hand.

GranitePenguin 08-03-2013 12:17 PM

Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by patlhunter (Post 1623196)
Thanks everyone that is very helpful.

So in a nutshell ...

Items are something you are wearing.

You can only have 1 big item on the board at a time (unless dwarf or other over ridding card like a Cheat card).

If you have an item that is not appropriate for your class/race or would be extraneous (ie; 2nd headgear or 3rd hand, or 2nd set of armor) you can place that item sideways on the table and it does not count in combat. Noting that a 2nd "Big" item can not be played sideways (unless dwarf/cheat).

One-shots/potions can be on the board -- sideways or vertical -- and are in play anytime.

Non-used Curses, classes, monsters and race cards must remain in a players hand until used to replace class/race, invoke extra monster, "look for trouble" or anytime you want to curse another player. (limit 5 cards in your hand)

You could also keep in your hand (if you chose not to play immediately) any level up cards.

Please feel free to correct or add to anything above.

Thanks again for your responses.

Sounds like you've got it to me. :-)

Muse23PT 08-03-2013 12:33 PM

Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand
 
One question that can be related to this one...

If I have let's say 1 footgear in use and an extra footgear sideways on the table because I can't use, and someone plays a Curse that says "lose your Footgear" (or I can't runaway from a monster that the Bad Stuff was Lose your Footgear) I would lose only the one that is equipped (in use) or would I lose both cards?

Bampop 08-03-2013 12:36 PM

Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GranitePenguin (Post 1623198)
There are things that you can do only with "in play" cards (e.g. Sell them to level up).

Actually, you can sell from your hand. However, trading with another player is an example of something that must be done from cards in play.

Bampop 08-03-2013 12:39 PM

Re: Cards on the table vs in your hand
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muse23PT (Post 1623210)

If I have let's say 1 footgear in use and an extra footgear sideways on the table because I can't use, and someone plays a Curse that says "lose your Footgear" (or I can't runaway from a monster that the Bad Stuff was Lose your Footgear) I would lose only the one that is equipped (in use) or would I lose both cards?

Some cards (whether Curses, or Bad Stuff) say "Lose the [Headgear, Footgear, etc.] You Are Wearing." Others do not specify. In those cases, you'd lose all carried Items that fit the description.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.