Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   The Fantasy Trip (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Analyzing Counters (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=163494)

Tom H. 05-08-2019 07:45 PM

Analyzing Counters

I have been sorting and looking more closely at the counters that come with Melee and Wizard.

(I'm trying to avoid looking at the Death Test ones until I use them.)

1. Is there any logic to how the identifying letters got assigned to the figure artwork?

As far as I can tell, it seems to be very randomly and unevenly distributed.

2. Do you like to choose your counters based more on the letter or the artwork?

Also, currently, it seems to me that the figure art doesn't always best represent the equipment options in the rules or how I would accessorize. I'm still playing and considering though.
3. Any thoughts or preferences?
(All that said, I do appreciate the creative license and variety expressed by Liz Danforth.)

4. Do you have any favorite figures that you must disclose? ;-)

Shostak 05-08-2019 08:12 PM

Re: Analyzing Counters

I choose counters strictly by aesthetics and don't worry too much about whether or not their gear perfectly matches the figure in question. My favorite Legacy Edition counter is Melee Counter Sheet 1, the top left swordsman w/shield marked P. He's a clear successor to one of my favorites from the Melee microgame. I still love those original counters.

FireHorse 05-08-2019 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shostak (Post 2261533)
… My favorite Legacy Edition counter is Melee Counter Sheet 1, the top left swordsman w/shield marked P.

That dude reminds me of the light gladiator from Avalon Hill's Gladiator (1981). And having been reminded of it, now I must go dig that game out and wallow in nostalgia for a while.

KevinJ 05-09-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireHorse (Post 2261552)
That dude reminds me of the light gladiator from Avalon Hill's Gladiator (1981). And having been reminded of it, now I must go dig that game out and wallow in nostalgia for a while.

Oh Gladiator, you are like Melee, but with 549876309485760985673 rules... No wonder you sit on my shelf and never see the game table.

KevinJ 05-09-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom H. (Post 2261522)
1. Is there any logic to how the identifying letters got assigned to the figure artwork?

As far as I can tell, it seems to be very randomly and unevenly distributed.

2. Do you like to choose your counters based more on the letter or the artwork?

1. The letters let you keep track of the enemy wizards and heroes during combat. handy for the paperwork.

2. Nope.

Skarg 05-09-2019 11:43 PM

I like to pick counters that are roughly the same sort of equipment as the character, and that I like, but it doesn't need to be exact.

I agree the new counter mix doesn't really abundantly cover the most likely & common fighter equipment options particularly well. One thing that was handy about the original Melee counters was that they were fairly generic, so there were fewer details to notice not being a perfect match for the character.

One can never have too many counters...

Also, with the Internet full of usable art, computers and printers, it's easier than ever to make one's own counters.

Helborn 05-10-2019 08:00 AM

Since my artistic skills are nil, I depend on others. Since I like oddball characters: a female halfling wizard with a spear, a male fighter with shield and boomerang, female elf with mace, as well as some sort of traditional ones: dwarf male with shield and spear, female elf with bow, etc. These are very hard to find unfortunately. Some I have never seen, so I would love to have a set of counters displaying more weapons and, especially, more female options.

RVA_Grandpa 05-10-2019 10:38 AM

I like to have custom counters too and I can't draw well either so I do a couple of other things.
  1. I search for illustrations in Pinterest that fit the character.
  2. I've used 'headshots' from the character cards.
  3. I make slight alterations to SJG counters.
Here are some examples posted on my BLOG. For Ralph, the ogre, I changed his face a little and colorized him. In the bottom row, Snidley (S) is a standard Wizard counter that I added a whip to, because the character, who may be a mage, carries a whip

tomc 05-10-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVA_Grandpa (Post 2261921)
Snidley (S) is a standard Wizard counter that I added a whip to, because the character, who may be a mage, carries a whip

Are there counters for Nell and the railroad tracks? :)

hcobb 05-10-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVA_Grandpa (Post 2261921)
Snidley (S) is a standard Wizard counter that I added a whip to, because the character, who may be a mage, carries a whip

Snidley the subduer
ST 8 DX 12 IQ 12 MA 10
Kick(1d-1), Whip(1d-1)
Literacy(mundane), Unarmed Combat I(2), Unarmed Combat II(2), Whip(2)
Blast, Dazzle, Drain Strength, Reverse Missiles, Rope, Sleep