Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   [Sorcery] Lighten Enchantment (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=147847)

mlangsdorf 01-10-2017 08:34 PM

[Sorcery] Lighten Enchantment

Does anyone have good ideas for recreating the Lighten (Armor) Enchantment in Sorcery?

Liftiing ST seems wrong. Payload seems really wrong. TK seems really, really wrong and a complicated version of Lifting ST or Payload. There isn't a good advantage for reducing the weight of an item.

Christopher R. Rice 01-10-2017 08:54 PM

Re: [Sorcery] Lighten Enchantment

Just use Control Gravity 5. That reduces the weight by 50%. You'd need to have it at no area effect or some such though.

Refplace 01-10-2017 08:54 PM

Afflcition Density Decrease rom Power Ups Enhancements.

mlangsdorf 01-10-2017 09:10 PM

There's a Density Increase on Enhancements p 21, but no Density Decrease. It's not in Limitations, either.

Humabout 01-10-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlangsdorf (Post 2069443)
There's a Density Increase on Enhancements p 21, but no Density Decrease. It's not in Limitations, either.

I'd price it the same as an increase in density, myself. It's about as beneficial as making stuff heavier is detrimental. It certainly isn't worth 50+ character points (idhmbwm). Using that affliction is just more elegant than trying to mash something out of other advantages.

mlangsdorf 01-11-2017 07:50 AM

Density Increase is +5% for x2 weight, +10% for x5, and so on. You can't exactly use the same pricing for Density Decrease.

If you meant use the same progression, but the reciprocal of the density increase, that would mean Density Decrease is +5% for 1/2 weight, +10%x for 1/5th weight, and so on.

In that case, the general Lighten spell looks like

Lighten
Keywords: Armor Buff
Full Cost: 28
Casting Roll: None. Touch the affected item.
Range: Touch.
Duration: 2 years.

The armor reduces its weight to 1/5th normal.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility: Only on Armor -20%; Enhancement: Decreased Density 1/5 +10%; Extended Duration +220%; Fixed Duration +0%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry -35%; No Signature +20%; Sorcery -15%) [28].

I think the base effect is probably too cheap (22 of the spell's 28 points are the ridiculous duration!) but it's something to base it on.

Nereidalbel 01-11-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlangsdorf (Post 2069502)
I think the base effect is probably too cheap (22 of the spell's 28 points are the ridiculous duration!) but it's something to base it on.

Honestly, the Extended Duration should only be +150%. That's already enough for "Permanent until dispelled." And can you even parry with Afflictions?

Anders 01-11-2017 01:36 PM

Perhaps price it as Payload with the modification "Armor only"?

Humabout 01-11-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Density Increase is +5% for x2 weight, +10% for x5, and so on. You can't exactly use the same pricing for Density Decrease.

If you meant use the same progression, but the reciprocal of the density increase, that would mean Density Decrease is +5% for 1/2 weight, +10%x for 1/5th weight, and so on.

This is what I meant.

Quote:

In that case, the general Lighten spell looks like

Lighten
Keywords: Armor Buff
Full Cost: 28
Casting Roll: None. Touch the affected item.
Range: Touch.
Duration: 2 years.

The armor reduces its weight to 1/5th normal.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (HT; Accessibility: Only on Armor -20%; Enhancement: Decreased Density 1/5 +10%; Extended Duration +220%; Fixed Duration +0%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry -35%; No Signature +20%; Sorcery -15%) [28].

5%? I remembered it at 10%. Oh well, I'd say double it, then. 10% per step feels good to me. If that still seems abusively low, make it 20% per step, but I wouldn't go past that.

kirbwarrior 01-11-2017 07:00 PM

I think there should definitely be a floor for making things lighter. There is a fair price to making something have 'negligible' weight. However, actually no weight is suddenly something else.