Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   The Fantasy Trip (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Does a Reptile Man double their HTH damage before or after their UC/Brawling bonus? (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=160455)

zot 11-02-2018 02:42 AM

Does a Reptile Man double their HTH damage before or after their UC/Brawling bonus?

The subject says it all...

larsdangly 11-02-2018 09:52 AM

Re: Does a Reptile Man double their HTH damage before or after their UC/Brawling bonu

Good question; I would say after.

hcobb 11-02-2018 09:57 AM

Re: Does a Reptile Man double their HTH damage before or after their UC/Brawling bonu

The difference between an adjacent hex strike and HTH is that in HTH the RP is adding a bite to her claw attack so give her a second attack rather than doubled damage.

Helborn 11-02-2018 05:05 PM

I would say before. UC is the knowledge of WHERE and/or HOW to hit. Claws and teeth simply do more damage in that location than hands and fingernails.
ITL pg 39 (1) because of his jaws and claws, he does double the HTH damage that a human of equivalent ST would (Nothing is mentioned about this being a double attack which would require a separate roll at -4DX to one of them - like a RM tail)

hcobb 11-02-2018 05:08 PM

What form of martial arts trains biting?

Skarg 11-02-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcobb (Post 2219929)

Chomp Fu, Dragon Fu...

Tenex 11-02-2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcobb (Post 2219929)

Kino Mutai, aka Kinomutay trains in it. I've never trained in it or even seen it, but I've been told that they train on taking successive small bites rather than one big one.

But on another level, why wouldn't a reptile man martial art exist? Human martial arts emphasize our "natural" weapons, i.e. elbows, knees, etc. I would imagine a reptile man martial art would emphasize such a wonderous natural advantage.

zot 11-02-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenex (Post 2219938)
Kino Mutai, aka Kinomutay trains in it. I've never trained in it or even seen it, but I've been told that they train on taking successive small bites rather than one big one.

But on another level, why wouldn't a reptile man martial art exist? Human martial arts emphasize our "natural" weapons, i.e. elbows, knees, etc. I would imagine a reptile man martial art would emphasize such a wonderous natural advantage.

My thoughts as well. But of course I wasn't trying to solicit opinions, I was asking for a ruling from Steve. Not that I mind other people's musings, though.

hcobb 11-02-2018 06:08 PM

So the PC RPs are going to need to roll how many dice vs IQ to find a Dragon Fu teacher in a city of 10k people and 20 RPs?

tomc 11-02-2018 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcobb (Post 2219801)
The difference between an adjacent hex strike and HTH is that in HTH the RP is adding a bite to her claw attack so give her a second attack rather than doubled damage.

I'd consider it part of the 5 seconds worth of attacks she gets that turn, and just double it.