Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Board and Dice Games (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Awful Green Thngs (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=143320)

GCraw 05-17-2016 03:13 PM

Awful Green Thngs

What if you have AGTFOS and want a multi-player game (well, it is normally multi-player, i.e. 2 but I mean 3 or more)

How would you split the crew up? I use Attack Dice

2 crew players:
1: Green Snudalians, Robot, Smbalite (17)
2: Frathms, Redundans, Mascot, Yellow Snudalians (18)

3 crew players
1: Frathms, Smbalites (12)
2: Yellow Snudalians, Robot (11)
3: Green Snudalians, Mascot, Redundans (12)

4 crew players
Don't

Shostak 05-17-2016 07:23 PM

Re: Awful Green Thngs

As a board game, it works really well solo or 2-person.

For multi-player, it could be worthwhile to stat up the characters and run it as a GURPS space horror game--possibly with a comic element.

GranitePenguin 05-20-2016 05:31 PM

I suppose another way to approach it is have teams instead of having dedicated control over specific chits.

If you have 3 players, have two work together moving all the crew, and one running the GTs (or the reverse).

If 4 players, split into two teams of two doing the same.

harrygray402 03-28-2017 04:33 PM

Is it "REALLY" a fun game playing solo? I've tried it solo and maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't seem to enjoy it as much solo. :(

sir_pudding 03-28-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shostak (Post 2005768)
For multi-player, it could be worthwhile to stat up the characters and run it as a GURPS space horror game--possibly with a comic element.

I have always wanted to do it as a LARP at a con or something. Complete with random weapon effects.

selenite 03-29-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCraw (Post 2005698)
What if you have AGTFOS and want a multi-player game (well, it is normally multi-player, i.e. 2 but I mean 3 or more)

One crew player. Handwrite another color or two of monster counters (they're pretty easy). Have multiple monster players, who will fight over who gets to eat the crew.

PK 03-29-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrygray402 (Post 2086983)
Is it "REALLY" a fun game playing solo? I've tried it solo and maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't seem to enjoy it as much solo. :(

I don't think so . . . IMO, it only works well with two players or two teams.

Shostak 03-30-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrygray402 (Post 2086983)

Well, if it isn't fun solo for you, it isn't, and that's what really matters. From my experience, going back to the game that came in a gaming magazine, I think it is an ideal solo game, due to the inherent randomness of the weapon effects on the Awful Green Things. I just love watching how things play out with totally different outcomes regardless of similar basic strategies. It is more fun as a solo game than OGRE or GEV, and those can be pretty good solo.

GranitePenguin 04-06-2017 01:59 PM

"Fun" is a relative term. An average solo game is infinitely more fun than not playing it at all.

Skarg 07-22-2018 12:41 PM

I just ran an Awful Green Things game at a boardgame meetup, with two other players who had never heard of the game.

I told them I could either be referee or a player, and that they could play either side or cooperate as the crew.

They chose to cooperate as the crew against me as the aliens. I had them alternate choosing crew sections to control, with the Robot counting as a section.

Then we had a really fun game! They really got into it, and afterwards said they had really enjoyed playing in cooperative mode.