Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   GURPS (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=157006)

Kfireblade 04-16-2018 11:02 PM

High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor
 
So I'm having a problem with a TL8/9 game I am running. the UT armor at TL 9 aside from like, the combat hard suits, dose not really seem much better at all then the HT armor, and in once case is MUCH worse. the TL 8 advanced body armor is DR 35/5* and concealable. The TL 9 concealable armor dose not even begin to approach that in effectiveness. The Reflex vest is 12/4* and the tactical vest, which is not concealable is 18/7* unless you include plates.

David Johnston2 04-16-2018 11:07 PM

Re: High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kfireblade (Post 2171587)
So I'm having a problem with a TL8/9 game I am running. the UT armor at TL 9 aside from like, the combat hard suits, dose not really seem much better at all then the HT armor, and in once case is MUCH worse. the TL 8 advanced body armor is DR 35/5* and concealable.

And isn't really really a real thing.

RyanW 04-16-2018 11:11 PM

Re: High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Johnston2 (Post 2171589)
And isn't really really a real thing.

I seem to recall it was based on some claims the manufacturer was never able to deliver on.

Phantasm 04-16-2018 11:25 PM

Re: High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanW (Post 2171590)
I seem to recall it was based on some claims the manufacturer was never able to deliver on.

Right. Attempting to make that armor using David's Cutting-Edge Armor Design article while using the listed thickness of the scales gives DR roughly half of HT's listed value, IIRC. YMMV, though; I'm still futzing with the three armor design articles.

That said, I'm having some troubles comparing the Reflex Vests in UT with the Concealable Vests in HT, given the numbers are almost identical....

Kelly Pedersen 04-16-2018 11:26 PM

Re: High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor
 
Yeah, as the others have mentioned, the Advanced Body Armor stats in High Tech are generally considered rather implausible these days.

That said, it's still true that a lot of the Ultra-Tech armors are a bit lacklustre compared to High-Tech's stats. Ultra-Tech was written first by a good number of years, and some of its assumptions definitely don't match more recent GURPS books. It's a fair bit of work, but you could use the articles "Cutting Edge Armor Design" in Pyramid #3/85, and "Ultra-Tech Armor Design" from Pyramid #3/96. Together, they provide rules that should allow you to rebuild various ultra-tech armors in a way that makes them better than equivalent high-tech ones.

Phantasm 04-16-2018 11:37 PM

Re: High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen (Post 2171592)
That said, it's still true that a lot of the Ultra-Tech armors are a bit lacklustre compared to High-Tech's stats. Ultra-Tech was written first by a good number of years, and some of its assumptions definitely don't match more recent GURPS books. It's a fair bit of work, but you could use the articles "Cutting Edge Armor Design" in Pyramid #3/85, and "Ultra-Tech Armor Design" from Pyramid #3/96. Together, they provide rules that should allow you to rebuild various ultra-tech armors in a way that makes them better than equivalent high-tech ones.

As I'm reverse-engineering the DR of the armor from the thickness of the armors, using the DR/inch rather than assigning DR and working from that as the articles call for, do we have decent approximations for how thick fabric (particularly concealed and tactical vests), scale, mail, and plate armors should be?

Kfireblade 04-16-2018 11:48 PM

Re: High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Johnston2 (Post 2171589)
And isn't really really a real thing.

ughhhhh I let one of my players take it because I mean.....kinda just was not paying enough attention really and did not realize how stupid good it was.

Tomsdad 04-16-2018 11:54 PM

Re: High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kfireblade (Post 2171597)
ughhhhh I let one of my players take it because I mean.....kinda just was not paying enough attention really and did not realize how stupid good it was.

If you are running TL8/9 you could just say its from the TL9 end of the available spectrum (unless you keeping the TL9 stuff back a bit)?

Kelly Pedersen 04-17-2018 12:05 AM

Re: High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantasm (Post 2171594)
do we have decent approximations for how thick fabric (particularly concealed and tactical vests), scale, mail, and plate armors should be?

Not that I know of, I'm afraid. I'm sure someone more familiar with real-world armor could supply some guidelines, though.

Kfireblade 04-17-2018 12:05 AM

Re: High tech armor vs Ultra-tech armor
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomsdad (Post 2171599)
If you are running TL8/9 you could just say its from the TL9 end of the available spectrum (unless you keeping the TL9 stuff back a bit)?

Ya, They have seen all of one piece of TL 9 gear so far and are not supposed to have access to any.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.