Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Ogre and G.E.V. (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Pan Euro Howitzer Counter shape differences. (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=154223)

JimmyPlenty 12-29-2017 12:19 AM

Pan Euro Howitzer Counter shape differences.

Hey all.

Got my hand on the designer edition. Noticed, however, that the Pan Euro Howitzers do not have the same cool looking shape the others do. It is basically a standard hex shape.

Is this normal and can I get the coolly shaped howitzers somehow?

Also, the super heavy do not have the custom look either. Were those never printed?

I think I had seen a few other special die cuts for other units as well.

Thanks!

Jim

Dave Crowell 12-29-2017 06:24 AM

Re: Pan Euro Howitzer Counter shape differences.

The die cuts for the Paneuropean an Combine howitzers are indeed different shapes. The circular ones are NAC. AFAIK Paneuropeam howitzers with circular counters were never printed.

GranitePenguin 12-29-2017 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty (Post 2146129)
Hey all.

Got my hand on the designer edition. Noticed, however, that the Pan Euro Howitzers do not have the same cool looking shape the others do. It is basically a standard hex shape.

Is this normal and can I get the coolly shaped howitzers somehow?

Also, the super heavy do not have the custom look either. Were those never printed?

I think I had seen a few other special die cuts for other units as well.

Thanks!

Jim

You are probably thinking about the early prototype images released before ODE came out. They dropped the convoluted die cut and went with simpler hex cuts; these early counters never happened.

JimmyPlenty 12-29-2017 01:26 PM

Yeah, thats it. Ok, no problem. Weird how they have the round howitzers for the others.

Leonidas 12-29-2017 03:24 PM

After seeing picture above, I want LADs very badly.

sparky00 12-29-2017 04:21 PM

Reportedly, LADS will be in the upcoming Battlefields Kickstarter.

Cant wait!

sparky00 12-29-2017 04:29 PM

BGG has a picture showing a red Doppelsoldner- obviously an early prototype. It would be cool to have a few of those.

Interesting how the LADs were included in the early designs, but dropped out somewhere along the way.

I wonder if other unit types shared a similar fate?

Anyway, It will be great to get them in Battlefields.

GranitePenguin 12-29-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty (Post 2146231)
Yeah, thats it. Ok, no problem. Weird how they have the round howitzers for the others.

That's because the Combine design for the HWZ is round, and the PE design is rectangular.

JimmyPlenty 12-29-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GranitePenguin (Post 2146273)
That's because the Combine design for the HWZ is round, and the PE design is rectangular.

Right, but that leaves three counter styles (Nihon, Blue, and Black) that follow the round style. While the white stands out different. It is the only counter that does so.

GranitePenguin 12-29-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyPlenty (Post 2146280)
Right, but that leaves three counter styles (Nihon, Blue, and Black) that follow the round style. While the white stands out different. It is the only counter that does so.

Not true... it's more balanced than you think (and actually more sheets are rectangular style HWZ than round). The style die the sponsor sheets used is what determined if they were round or rectangular.

Round:
Combine
Black Rose
Nihon

Rectangular:
PE
Nightfall
Barbarians at the Gate
Robert Gursky Sponsor Sheet (Sometimes called "Belgian", but IIRC, Robert says they aren't).