Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Munchkin 101 (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Magic Lamp Ruling (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=121467)

Fate 12-19-2013 11:57 PM

Magic Lamp Ruling

Magic Lamp states that you can vanish a Monster EVEN if you failed your escape roll.
But because of the way the description is written.
Can the card still be used to gain the treasures after successfully running away? I realize that if we ignore the escape attempt, magic lamp works fine but our house rules are once you take an action you can't undo it. So would the lamp still be playable in the following example.
Ex.
Player 1 Kicks down door and finds potted plant
Player 2 plays illusion replacing monster with Plutonium Dragon.
Player 1 rolls a 6 successfully escaping, then plays magic lamp to collect treasures.

morleydotes 12-20-2013 04:30 AM

Re: Magic Lamp Ruling

No, because the card specially states ONE monster. The example that you have given, you have escaped from two monsters. The second half of the card covers that. "If it was the ONLY monster that you faced". (Caps mine).

Pat

Andrew Hackard 12-20-2013 07:52 AM

To answer the more basic question: if you play Magic Lamp after failing to Run Away from a single monster, yes, you do get its Treasure.

MunchkinMan 12-20-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morleydotes (Post 1698225)
No, because the card specially states ONE monster. The example that you have given, you have escaped from two monsters. The second half of the card covers that. "If it was the ONLY monster that you faced". (Caps mine).

Pat

What two Monsters? Potted Plant is replaced with Plutonium Dragon. There is only one Monster.

However, the answer is still "No" since you've already escaped from the Monster, so it is gone. Since it's gone, you could not possibly play a card on it to affect it.

Fate 12-20-2013 10:55 AM

Thank you MunchkinMan for clarifying the issue. Due to the wording of the card we had a major dispute on it but now that's its clarified we can go on playing knowing that it can't be used that way.

Grej 06-19-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard (Post 1698278)
To answer the more basic question: if you play Magic Lamp after failing to Run Away from a single monster, yes, you do get its Treasure.

I have some questions:
1. Does it counts as victory? (even if I tried to run away, Magic Lamp removed monster and I got Treasures).
2. If I promised my helper some treasures for help, should I share the treasures if we're running away, helper running away before me, and after that I fail to run away and play Lamp?

Andrew Hackard 06-19-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grej (Post 2269839)
I have some questions:
1. Does it counts as victory? (even if I tried to run away, Magic Lamp removed monster and I got Treasures).

No. You Ran Away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grej (Post 2269839)
2. If I promised my helper some treasures for help, should I share the treasures if we're running away, helper running away before me, and after that I fail to run away and play Lamp?

Yes. You got the Treasure; you're required to share it according to the agreement reached.