Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=158831)

lachimba 07-30-2018 05:46 AM

DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast
 
Apparently really complicated

https://youtu.be/Ru3bEVck0Vo?t=31m58s

tbone 07-30-2018 08:43 AM

Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lachimba (Post 2197542)
Apparently really complicated

https://youtu.be/Ru3bEVck0Vo?t=31m58s

At 33:23, two sentences: "...and Dungeon Fantasy, which is part of the GURPS roleplaying game from Steve Jackson Game [sic], which is an old but classic game. Haven't had a chance to break into it; this is some really, really complex stuff."

Nice to see DF pop up in this fellow's collection and gain get a mention (and maybe a future review?). But it's unfortunate to hear that "really, really complex" judgment from someone who hasn't even looked at the game yet.

voodoo54 07-30-2018 09:12 AM

Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast
 
Apparently roll low on 3d6 is much more complex than roll high on 1d20. ;)

johndallman 07-30-2018 03:54 PM

Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast
 
To be fair, there are 392 pages of what looks like rules. Few boardgames have anything like that much.

lachimba 07-30-2018 06:42 PM

Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast
 
Many RPGs have "complex" rules its just the players are more used to dealing with them.

That said the tendency is toward more "light" rules.

philreed 07-31-2018 05:55 AM

Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lachimba (Post 2197758)
That said the tendency is toward more "light" rules.

Which is why The Fantasy Trip is nearing 1,800 backers. Lighter rules + nostalgia is coming together to make this project grow quickly.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ol-roleplaying

Kalzazz 07-31-2018 08:16 AM

Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast
 
It hit exactly 1800 as I read this post, weird

bert 07-31-2018 11:16 AM

Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lachimba (Post 2197758)
Many RPGs have "complex" rules its just the players are more used to dealing with them.

That said the tendency is toward more "light" rules.

Yes! There is a lot of swedish Indie rpgs now, and many of them have extremely simple rules, where a monsteror foe is statted out using obly a handful of numbers. Like Phil is alluding to, the timing with TFT is good!

Maybe something between GURPS Light and ultra-light would be a good idea - GURPS mini?

lachimba 08-01-2018 06:46 AM

Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by philreed (Post 2197888)
Which is why The Fantasy Trip is nearing 1,800 backers. Lighter rules + nostalgia is coming together to make this project grow quickly.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ol-roleplaying

I'd say "Hey isn't this part of the forums only for DFRPG", but I don't think that would go down well.



I think light and complex now mean a lot of different things for different people.


For me DFRPG cut down on the complexity of GURPS and even DF, by just being one product rather than dozens of books.

But compare that to a board game where I can watch a 30 min video on how to play and probably never read the rules (just have a friend look them up occasionally and read an FAQ) and DFRPG still looks pretty complex.

JMason 08-01-2018 07:31 AM

Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lachimba (Post 2198264)
For me DFRPG cut down on the complexity of GURPS and even DF, by just being one product rather than dozens of books.

But compare that to a board game where I can watch a 30 min video on how to play and probably never read the rules (just have a friend look them up occasionally and read an FAQ) and DFRPG still looks pretty complex.

Before the announcement of the DFRPG, there were several discussions of a introductory GURPS product or even boxed set, but I think a lot of folks (myself included) were thinking of a product that started with GUPRS Lite, removed the stuff that was not specific to whatever genre the set was for, then maybe added in a bit of gear and templates to fit the genre.

I love the DFRPG we got, but I wonder if a lite-like product (and marketing on simple rules/ease of play) might have had a bigger impact. I fear now we may never know.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.