Steve Jackson Games Forums

Steve Jackson Games Forums (http://forums.sjgames.com/index.php)
-   Ogre and G.E.V. (http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Factions in the ODE (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=164883)

voodoo54 08-03-2019 10:19 AM

Factions in the ODE

I have finally decided to use plastic bins to organize all the piece that come with the ODE. It looks like it came with four different factions. One being the NAC and one being the Pan Europeans. Does anyone know what the other two are called? One faction looks like it has greenish looking vehicles with a white background and the other looks like black vehicles with a light green back ground with names on them.

GranitePenguin 08-03-2019 10:28 AM

Re: Factions in the ODE

Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoo54 (Post 2277519)
I have finally decided to use plastic bins to organize all the piece that come with the ODE. It looks like it came with four different factions. One being the NAC and one being the Pan Europeans. Does anyone know what the other two are called? One faction looks like it has greenish looking vehicles with a white background and the other looks like black vehicles with a light green back ground with names on them.

The "black on light green" that use the NAC style artwork are the Black Rose Mercenaries. What's neat about these is they are fan-sponsored sheets where a bunch of us chipped in to help fund it and were able to pick the names you see on the units.

The "greenish on white" are the "Third Force" units. They are European (but not PE) units. This is another set of sheets that were sponsored by Robert Gurskey. A lot of people say they are Belgian because of the coloring (look at the cruise missile especially); but IIRC, Robert says they are not specifically Belgian.

voodoo54 08-03-2019 10:35 AM

That's exactly what I needed to know, thanks!

rjg173 08-05-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GranitePenguin (Post 2277521)
The "black on light green" that use the NAC style artwork are the Black Rose Mercenaries. What's neat about these is they are fan-sponsored sheets where a bunch of us chipped in to help fund it and were able to pick the names you see on the units.

The "greenish on white" are the "Third Force" units. They are European (but not PE) units. This is another set of sheets that were sponsored by Robert Gurskey. A lot of people say they are Belgian because of the coloring (look at the cruise missile especially); but IIRC, Robert says they are not specifically Belgian.

I never said such a thing as the GEVs/LGEVs and cruise missiles are specifically Belgian. The Howitzers and Mobile Howitzers are German. The Heavy Tanks and Light tanks are from elsewhere in Europe, but I never decided where.

offsides 08-05-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjg173 (Post 2277801)
I never said such a thing as the GEVs/LGEVs and cruise missiles are specifically Belgian. The Howitzers and Mobile Howitzers are German. The Heavy Tanks and Light tanks are from elsewhere in Europe, but I never decided where.

And that's what I love about this community - here we have as official an answer as we can get, straight from the proverbial horse's mouth! :)

wolf90 08-05-2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offsides (Post 2277815)
And that's what I love about this community - here we have as official an answer as we can get, straight from the proverbial horse's mouth! :)

Hear, hear!

Thanks for weighing in, rjg173!

D.

(There does seem to be a resurgence of interest in the various ODE factions recently. Perhaps Battlefields has something to do with that. In any case, anything that keeps Ogre front and center is "a good thing" in my book!)

D.

GranitePenguin 08-06-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjg173 (Post 2277801)

I knew invoking your name would bring you out of the woodwork :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf90 (Post 2277945)
(There does seem to be a resurgence of interest in the various ODE factions recently. Perhaps Battlefields has something to do with that. In any case, anything that keeps Ogre front and center is "a good thing" in my book!)

Yeah, that's been very interesting to see.

Misplaced Buckeye 08-12-2019 06:34 AM

I posted this question on Fb ogre but looking for a little more detail, The BGG counter has PE forces with a yellow arrow flash on top different from the all blue PE units . IS there anything more unique about that detail. Also the Green on white GEV counter some sport a Yellow flash, Significance? Doing a bunch of sorting....

GranitePenguin 08-12-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye (Post 2279081)
I posted this question on Fb ogre but looking for a little more detail, The BGG counter has PE forces with a yellow arrow flash on top different from the all blue PE units . IS there anything more unique about that detail. Also the Green on white GEV counter some sport a Yellow flash, Significance? Doing a bunch of sorting....

That doesn't sound like BGG counters, that sounds like the ACD sheet. The BGG counters are 3-D (with BGG-zilla) and an overlay sheet.

No special significance beyond ACD wanted to be different.

wolf90 08-12-2019 07:12 PM

If I remember correctly, ACD wanted to do something unique, and yet still have the units be able to be used with the PE faction (seeing as they were PE body styles). This was the result.

You can use these as a faction within the PE. After all, Paneurope was not one monolithic entity in the manner of the NA Combine, but rather a tightly bound coalition of nations united for the common good. The "other" green faction within ODE sponsored by rjg173 (thanks yet again!!) would represent another such sub-faction within PE.

D.